MicroJig Splitter

I'm thinking about getting the MicroJig Splitter, but was wondering if I could use the Thin Kerf splitter with either a thin kerf blade or a regular 1/8 inch blade. Would not want to get both, if the thin kerf model will do the job with either size blade.

What do others think? Thanks

Reply to
Chuck

No... the thin kerf splitter should not be used with a blade thicker than the splitter. I won't say it won't work cause I'm certain others here are about to tell you it works for them - but they won't tell you about the kick-back that almost made their birth certificates a useless piece of paper.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Reply to
Jody

I'd use the splitter the manufacturer recommends. If the insert was universal, I'm sure they'd sell them that way.

I have an MJ splitter and think it's OK. My only complaint is that on difficult woods it has pulled out of the zero clearance insert, staying stuck in the kerf.

I've also used stock splitters, the one that's a little brass pin mounted to a plastic disc, and Biesemeyer snap-in versions. The Bies is by far the best, but one is not made for my saw.

The MJ Splitter's installation instructions are kind of amusing. I think they get a plug in for every other product they make! An inexperienced woodworker could spend $200 installing a $14 splitter by following the instructions to the letter.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The hole patterns are different for the thin and regular kerf splitters. They did that on purpose.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Look at the microjig web page and see he write-up on using the thin kerf splitter in "double" configuration. They state that it can be used for any thickness blade in this configuration. However, it requires 4" free space in your insert. This is typically only achievable by raising the blade partially. They state that most saws can be set up to cut 3/4" stock. The advertised advantage is that you get no burrning on either side of the cut using this configuration.

I used the brass pin splitter made by grip-tite for over a year and thought it was just fine - wrong! The mico-jig consistently helped me make better cuts.

I thought the thin kerf splitter kit was a bit pricey. After using it, I think its worth the money.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I've been convinced - will buy separate splitters for each size blade. Don't think I'll pop for the double splitter quite yet, at least not until I try the single splitter first. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck