What is this plant? ? ?

I decided this year to try my hand at balcony gardening, so I got a good-brand packet of pepper seed from the garden shop.

When they came up, I assumed they were peppers, but as they matured, clearly they were not. They produced a large number of unusual small blooms, which then turned into lantern-like pods. These pods contained a pea-sized fruit which contained tiny seeds.

I should add, the soil I used came from a compost pile in a wooded area behind the house. So I could very well be growing weeds which choked out the peppers.

Here is a link to a photo. I'm plainly curious what it is.

Ray

Sure looks like Chinese lantern.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It could well be that. Also consider balloon vine. Use google images to find examples to compare with what you have.

David Hare-Scott

Physalis?

Reply to
Farm1