Why do my peppers look like this?

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started them inside on the window cill and when they were approx 4" tall i transplanted them outside. They took well and have grown a lot bigger and i've been well chuffed......Until a member of my family came round and said she had never seen peppers like that before. I used google images to google search every type of pepper plant, to only find not one similar image. Can someone please tell from the pic, what they are or what went wrong. I am first time gardener looking to get serious and would appreciate any help.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: photo.JPG | |Download:
JimmyPlant

The reason they don't look like peppers is because they are not peppers. Where did you get the seed?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

likely some type of mizuna.

Not peppers, but still a worthy crop.

Pat Kiewicz

'bad' lettuce for a weed]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I thought pat was on the mark, some kind of brassica rapa, there are many cultivars with different leaves.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You can see the cotyledons at the base of one of the plants, which are sort of heart-shaped, exactly like you would expect of a brassica.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

-snip-

Cool-- That's my 'lesson' for the day.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks for the answers guys, i think Pat was spot on..... I can remember having some type of Japenese lettuce seeds?? I have blantently got confused somehow on the naming of the seeds planted.... and not knowing what they were to look like i didn't know. Appreciate your help, problem solved.

JimmyPlant