some help please ?!

hi all.

ive been wanting to ask a few questions for a while now but ive never got to taking pictures to upload for you guys. and i have finally so here goes.

(in picture order) some of my lupin seedlings died unfortunetly because i bruised them :$ so i just planted what i had to winter sow just for the sake of it.

after a few days i realised that there was one seedling with massive head/outer shell. it was atleast the size of my thumbs nail. can someone tell me if this is normal ? i took the black shell off as i would with the other 'normal' seedlings but the actuall head of the seedling is the same size. very strange. and now its growing quite wierdly (pic 2). i would appreciate any input on this.

3rd picture. we dug up what is going to be a pond in the near future. and because of problems its just a big hole at the moment and there are all sorts of wierd plants and some weeds groeing in there. there was one that cought my eye to i took it out and planted it in the trough. can someone tell me what it is ? did i just plant a weed ? :P

4th picture

and lastly ive noticed some seedlings (i think) that are growing from a trough that has a small baby cherry tree in it. would someone be able to tell me possibly by looking at the picture what they are ?

i may have a few questions more once i take a few more pictures. i would be greatfull for all of your replys and inpits. thanks in advance ! :)

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMAG0044 (800x451) (800x451) - Copy.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMAG0055 (451x800) - Copy.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMAG0037-1 (765x800) (765x800) - Copy.jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMAG0057 (800x452) (800x452) - Copy.jpg | |Download:
zuhayr-123

Always handle seedlings by the cotyledon rather than the stem. They can survive the loss of a cotyledon much better.

Can't tell what's going on (too fuzzy), but it looks like the cotyledons are just thick.

You've got a Euphorbia there, and it could well be weedy.

Nope, too small, too out of focus.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

thanks for replying kay.

i have a better pic if the lupin seedling now because the first one was blurry.

i got a few more questions too if someone could answer them id be really happy.

pic one and two: these are pictures of what will be a pond in the future. for now its just a massive hole with alot of greenery (mostly weeds) but i see a few nice flowers so can someone nam me what they are. i think the purple one is a malva something but im not entirely sure.

and the third picture is a clearer picture of the strange lupin seeds i mentioned earlier.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMAG0073 (800x451).jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMAG0083 (800x451).jpg | |Download:
||Filename: IMAG0071 (800x451).jpg | |Download:
zuhayr-123

Definitely not normal seedlings. Kind of look like they've taken some herbicide damage early in seed development, or perhaps they're polyembryonic. But the roots should appear before ths shoots, and in the seedling to the right, everything looks pretty wrong.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

can you please give me some info on them ? are slugs attracted to any of them ? how hard are they to maintain ? hardyness, how much ground they take ?

im thinking of digging them up and putting in my flowerbed because of the better soil but i want to know abit about them first.

also, i have two ugni flambeau plants. one's beautifull and in perfect health but ones burned shrivelled and looks way too tiny for the pot that its in unfortunetly whereas the other looks bigger than the pot that its in (both in same pots) could you tell me a possible way to rescue the burned one ? the bottom of the shoots are a nice purpleish creamy and light green colour as they should be but they get brown and crispy as you go higher.

i really want to save this one because i really like these plants so any help would be appreciated. !

thanks in advance.

zuhayr-123

It's hard to know what's wrong with your burned and shrivelled one: it could be drought, it could have drowned, could be other things. The one that is too big for its pot, better pot it on to a bigger pot then.

Ugni molinae (Chilean guava) (flambeau is a variegated form) doesn't do well out of doors in SE England. I've had one in the ground for several years and it barely flowered, fruit never ripened, it suffered in dry weather, and got frozen back each winter, in general got smaller and smaller each year, until a brief spell at -10 killed it completely. It grows naturally in the very wet climate, with mild winters, of southern Chile, more like NW Spain in its climate than UK. To grow it in a pot you need ericaceous compost and keep it moist (without drowning it) using collected rain water (or tap water if you are in a soft-water area, unlikely in Berkshire). I believe it can be grown well in south Devon, and was cultivated there in the 19th century: Queen Victoria considered it her favourite fruit. I'm surprised they haven't caught on given the present fashion for eating berries - they are like a very fragrant blueberry.

echinosum

Malva sylvestris is a perennial; not sure what cultivar you might have or if it's the wild type. Try letting some grow and see what room you need. Minor slug damage.

Anagallis arvensis is a weedy annual, an indicator of light soil. Small stature -- what you see is pretty much what you get.

Sorry, I don't speak common names well. Genus and species? Sounds like you've got one that's diseased or heat stressed and one that's underpotted.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

He didn't give you the common name. Ugni is the genus, and flambeau is a variety of U. molinae. Variegated Chilean guava would be the common name.

echinosum