ID this plant?

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! A sort of droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. I took 2 but can't find the other.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

This is the other one -- I think. Very confused.

Higgs Boson

No, not bloom. This is the ORIGINAL, posted long ago before it bloomed. At least it gives you a better idea of the plant.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

lost track of how-to.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It looks very much like an Ephiphyllum (orchid cactus). If so, those are stems and not really leaves.

Ephiphyllum is a tropical cactus, not a desert cactus. It can thus take more water than a desert cactus, but be careful not to overwater it. It likes some organic matter in the potting mix instead of just sand; the mix must drain well. Many varieties have no thorns.

I have two --

One is thornless except at the base of its flowers. This one has the same flattened stems as in your photos, but it does not have as many stems growing out of a main stem. It has relatively small pink flowers in the late spring or early summer.

My other one has nasty, tiny thorns at the indentations of its stems, which are triangular in cross-section instead of flat. This one has large, day-glow magenta flowers just as the other one finishes blooming. As its flowers fade, they collapse and droop just as in your photo.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Did you not agree with my ID back then?

Epiphyllum sp., probably oxypetalum.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Maybe some help here.

joevan

Thanks for your input. This is my first encounter with Epiphyllum. I'll have to goout and check for "nasty, tiny thorns" !. Maybe the bloom was there for some time and I didn't notice until drooped.

Is there anything I need to do now?

Re: Sunshine, this gets a fair amount in summer, but less in "winter". Is that OK? Also, what kind of food, if any? TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Yes, but I didn't at first locate the exchange "back then". I appreciate your introducing me to this exotic bloom. My first encounter!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

visit a Cereus Web site, but didn't look the same, and also not sure it's a night bloomer. It's open during the day.

Thanks for your reply.

HB

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Is it fully open or drooping as you say?

Reply to
joevan

***Drooping. Unattractive. I can't say, because I didn't think to check (not being aware that it HAD bloomed), whether it had been earlier "fully open". Last 3 -4 days, drooping.

Does such a flower typically start to droop after being fully open?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The flowers on my Ephiphyllum do indeed droop (as in your photo) after only a very few days.

Reply to
David E. Ross

;-)

sly critter blooms, because the current bloom took me totally by surprise.

HB

[...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson