Here comes Spring !

And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of 'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm not so sure about spring since we had snow here at the beginning of the week. Finally go to the store to get some onion seeds yesterday and put 144 seeds into the starter trays. If it doesn't snow again next week I will start a few other things.

Reply to
The Cook

We're getting temps in the 70 to 80F range now. Won't be long until we plant, at least something. Will probably go to our favorite nursery on Monday or Tuesday to get plants like tomatoes, etc.

I pruned the rain branches off the Tennousi pear yesterday, about eight of them, that if left to grow, would put interior shade in the tree, not a good thing if you want a decent harvest. Took off the sprouts from the roots of the Kumquat too, it's a grafted plant with the graft being wild orange, don't need those growing up either. Took a look at the fig but it doesn't need pruning nor for the blueberries. Blueberries are budding well as are the other fruit trees, of course the kumquat is an evergreen and will put on flowers in another month or two. Our small bay tree is finally getting some good roots into the gumbo clay and is starting to get taller. Started as a very small rooted branch from our much larger bay in Louisiana and is now about twelve inches tall. We will harvest a few leaves along as we need them.

Reply to
George Shirley

haha, it is still winter up here. went from relatively nice weather Tues where i was outside with only one long shirt on (42F and sunny) to snowstorm yesterday. i expected to wake up today to more blowing snow and more coming down and the forecast says we may pick up another inch, but the worst of it is over for now. it went from all brown to white. which since it is still winter is what it should be. about a foot of heavy snow is my guess. we'll be doing some shoveling today. and yes, i'm glad, i hate doing useless exercise, snow shoveling is good exercise and my back needs some amount of this sort of work to be happy.

:)

having some good cold weather right now is needed to keep the trees from budding out and flowering too early.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The buds on my fruit trees are starting to swell , and you're right , it's too early . Night before last it snowed here , most of it melted yesterday and it's headed back up into the 60's later this week . It's sure enough been a weird winter !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Our fruit trees are putting on buds, some of the spring lilies are already blooming. We're starting seeds today in the house.

Yesterday the red wiggler worms we ordered came in and were put into their new home. A little later today I will check to see if the little buggers are out of their ball and spreading out. We have plenty of both brown goodies and veggie scraps to keep them happy.

Most of the fall garden is gone and the rest comes out today and will be turned into worm food or compost.

George

Reply to
George Shirley