Frozen !

There were not a lot of blossoms on the small peach tree , but they're all covered with ice crystals this morning . Overnight lows were in the mid-20's , and it looks like we won't gwt any fruit from that tree . I just hope the rest of the trees (2 pear 2 apple and 3 cherry) haven't sustained any damage , most of them have started to bud . Mother Nature is so fickle ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

We had a light frost this morning on the vehicles, didn't seem to affect the fruit trees nor the gardens. Another hour or two and I will check them again. Seems to be warming fast though. Don't think it got below

40F at ground level. We're having weird weather this spring, one day it's beautiful, almost hot, next day it's a light frost or rain. Who's messing with the weather, gotta be Ma Nature?

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Gotta be ! Anyway , it appears the blossoms sustained no damage , much to my surprise . I'd have to go out to the shop and check for the exact overnight low , but it was definitely in the mid 20's .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The pear blossoms were not touched. Looking good so far. The rest of the garden has not been bothered either. Must have just been a light frost on the vehicles, didn't see any on the roof tops either. Phew!!

Last year we lost the entire pear crop, both pears, in a strong windstorm. Hoping we get pears this year as I have yet to eat a Tennousi pear.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Most of these trees were planted in the summer of 2014 , they haven't grown much . They are looking better this year , except the dwarf North Star cherry , it looks to have sustained some damage over winter .The Red Haven peach has a few dead twigs too . On the advice of the nursery girl I haven't fertilized , this year they will be .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I pruned the pear earlier this month, concentrating on the "rain" limbs and crossing limbs. Mostly to open the interior for more sunshine. Appears to have worked as there are many blooms on the inside. Did somewhat the same for the kumquat and found one limb growing below the graft. Those always have to go as citrus here are grafted onto native wild oranges as they grow much better here than the original roots do.

The last two years the pear hardly bloomed at all and, if it did, a late frost got them. That was the two pear year in 2015 when the wind got them. It appears we are the only folks growing edible fruit other than the neighbor catty cornered across the street who has bananas, which will sometimes bear but haven't since we moved here. We also have five avocado's coming up along the back fence where wife planted them. Now we have to determine their sex and kill all but one male.

It has been a long day for this ol' geezer, I'm headed for bed shortly.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Been a long one here too . I spent most of my day setting support columns for the kitchen into concrete . That's almost as much work as digging the holes ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs