planting trees, and pollinization

Hi, there.

Frank's Nursery and Crafts is going out of business** and they have everything including trees marked down.

They had one D'Anjou pear tree that it said needed a pollinator. OTOH, the big Ortho book said it was a B-type tree (their category) and could be pollinated by "any B" (not "any other B"), which seems to me to mean that it can pollinate itself, plus any of 4 other B varieties of pear can also pollinate it.

OT3H the salesman at a good store said that I would be ok if there were another pear (or D'anjou pear?) within 5 miles. I suppose there is.

Can I plant just one pear tree and get pears, and is this an ok time to plant in Baltimore. The days are in the 60's or high 50's. The nights are in the 40's.

And by the way, when there is male and female, how does one know one is getting a female tree and not a male one that will never have fruit, iiuc? (If the stores only sell females, where do the males come from?)

Another tree for sale is called a "flowering cherry tree". Does "flowering" mean it won't give cherries to eat?

I think one of my 2 apple trees has died (maybe apple-cedar-rust?), and I have 2nd empty space that could use a tree. I'm thinking planting now will give me a head start in the spring. Or do I need to plant a second apple tree to pollinate my surviving one. (They were different varieties, planted by the original owner of the house.)

**The store here was doing well but the whole chain is closing.

Sorry this letter is so long. If you got this far, thanks a lot.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Some pear trees are self-pollinating and others are not. I can't find the reference to know whether the D'Anjou is self-pollinating or not. However, even if it is, they do better with another pear tree near it... not 5 miles, more like 10-20 feet. Out of the pear species on this link, only one was self-pollinating and that one mentioned having another tree to ensure pollination.

Reply to
Jane