Dwarf Apple & Dwarf Avocada Tree Questions

I recently had a couple of hedges lining my driveway removed and I'm thinking of planting a dwarf apple and a dwarf avocado tree. Anyone in the Southern Calif. area have much success with either of these trees? I'm wondering how long it would take for the trees to fruit & would I need to plant more than one for them to fruit?

Reply to
JorgNS

Hi JorgNS, Generally, most varieties of apples will need a pollinator, which could be even a flowering crab apple in your neighbors yard. It is crucial that the blossom times of any such trees are close enough together, so that insects can carry the pollen from one tree to another. Even with the 'self fruitful' apple varieties, you will get a much better crop, if there is a good pollinator nearby. Also, a dwarf apple tree, planted from a 2-3 foot whip, should take about 5 years before you get a decent crop. It might produce a handful of apples sooner, but it is better to prune those off early to encourage better root and tree development. I can't speak about avocado trees, as we don't grow them here in the Midwest, but my remarks about apple trees should hold for your area, as well.

Sherw> I recently had a couple of hedges lining my driveway removed and I'm thinking

Reply to
sherwindu

Hi Jorg,

Here's the info on the avocado.

don't say what type of apple, but I'm thinking you mean a cra apple. Here's a site that might be helpful about edible apples.
you are thinking of a crab apple, there is Malus angustifolia southern crab apple; Malus coronaria - Alabama crab apple (aka swee crab apple); Malus fusca - Oregon crab apple and Malus sylvestris common apple or wild apple. You could do a google search on thes using the botanical names to see how they will grow in your hardines zone. You could also look here.

If you aren't sure of your hardiness zone look here.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt