Dwarf apple tree

Hello there friends,

Just joined Garden Banter and it looks like an exciting forum.

I posted this on another gardening forum but it did not attract any replies. Maybe there is no answer or treatment or there is not much information to go on. A local gardener said it might be some form of root disease and best to destroy it. I like to give things a few chances and hope there is some help out there.

I recently bought two dwarf apple trees of different variety. One of the trees appears to be growing ok but the flowers have fallen off. The other tree has leaves that appear eaten and turning brown with a few curling up. The newly produced leaves are emerging curled up. I can see no insect or suchlike on the tree.

It is the first time I have attempted fruit trees and any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Dunli

Reply to
dunli

You don't indicate where you're located (growing zone) or what variety of apples... apple trees can take several years to establish themselves before producing fruit and most apple trees require a particular pollenator. Weather also plays an important role with fruit production, a frost can drop the blossoms before the pollenating insects emerge. Check at a local nursery and plant more trees. Have patience, good luck.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

if you just transplanted the trees it may be a while before they recover and grow "normally".

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you for the replies Brooklyn1 and songbird...much appreciated.

I am located in central Scotland,UK. The inclement weather here can affect planting and growing times.

As I have limited space, I decided to buy 2 dwarf apple trees and are presently in containers. The variety of both trees is 'Jonagold', which were bought and planted on the same day only a couple of feet apart. As I said, one is growing healthily and the other has curled up leaves. This is what leads me to think one is diseased, or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks again, folks.

Regards,

Dunli

Reply to
dunli

dunli wrote: ...

not every plant is the same, also the soil could be a different structure between containers.

i'd talk to the place where you purchased the trees as they might give you another to try.

without being there to examine the plant, roots, soil when it was tranplanted we can't give definite answers.

that one plant gets established more quickly than another is not unusual.

if you do give another plant a try, make sure the soil in the container doesn't have clumps in it and that the drainage holes are not blocked.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'd not expect apple trees to do well in a container, not even a large container... apple trees need to go through a lengthy hard frost each year to do well. Most plant nurserys give a one year warranty but I'd think planting apple trees in a container would void any warranty from the nursery. Unless one is experimenting say with bonsia apple trees need to be planted directly in the ground.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Thanks again for both replies, which are much appreciated.

I'll take on board the advice and information. This is the first time I have attempted to grow fruit trees. If there are any further developments I will let you know.

Regards,

Dunli

Reply to
dunli