Dwarf apple tree leaves now lace

I have a dwarf Jonagold apple tree by the front of my house which is doing fine. I had a lot of apples off it last year.

Out back I have a small dwarf (not necessarily redundant -- it's a SMALL dwarf) 3-in-1 (used to be 4-in-1) apple tree that I am bringing back from several years of neglect. While the leaves on the Jonagold out front (maybe 40 feet away) are fine, the leaves of the 3-in-1 are now munched down to lace due to the action of some pest. The area of leaves from nearby maples which is closest and above the 3-in-1 are also lace from some pest. I presume the same pest. Other leaves on the nearby trees are fine. In other words, it's a very localized phenomenon: on the little apple and up onto one side of the foliage of the nearby maple.

When I inspect the tree, I see no pest on the 3-in-1 -- no insect, no snails, no slugs. Obviously there is plenty of time when I am not inspecting the tree.

My question is twofold:

  1. a) How do I determine what is eating the apple tree leaves? b) Does precisely what pest is doing it affect what I should do to remedy the situation?

  1. As an organic gardener, what can I do to repel the pest and/or help the tree?

I am an experienced urban organic gardener in some ways but naive in matters I haven't done much of yet. I am very new to fruit trees.

Thank you!

Priscilla in a neighborhood of Boston, MA Zone 6 (though these days it sometimes feels more like zone 7!)

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

Locate the nearest county extension agent and take some of the leaves to them. See the link in my signature line.

Reply to
The Cook

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not really an option. I don't own a car, and I have a demanding full time job.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

A bird feeder near the fruit trees for small birds might help, if the problem is insects.

Reply to
Billy

Now *that* is a brilliant idea. Get their attention on the area.

Thanks, Billy!

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou