Maybe OT: Apple Tree Damage

I was going to get the morning papers the other day when I noticed that the apple tree in the corner of the yard looked strange; it was fuzzy on one s ide but had full leaves on the other. When I got closer, I saw that on the "fuzzy" side, the leaves had been eaten away except for the main vein that runs up from the branch through the center of the leave. It hadn't been lik e that the morning before so either a flock of locusts came through during the day or night and ate the leaves. No sight of any bugs around or on the tree.

The "fuzzy" area was 6-10 feet above the ground. None of the other trees ha d been damaged and there was no damage on the normal, fully-leaved side of the tree. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Likely due to tent caterpillars. They love apple trees and this is the right time of the year for them to hatch and crawl up the tree to begin eating leaves and making a large web nest.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

arg! drats!

that's about what i thought too.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

the apple tree in the corner of the yard looked strange; it was fuzzy on o ne side but had full leaves on the other. When I got closer, I saw that on the "fuzzy" side, the leaves had been eaten away except for the main vein t hat runs up from the branch through the center of the leave. It hadn't been like that the morning before so either a flock of locusts came through dur ing the day or night and ate the leaves. No sight of any bugs around or on the tree.

s had been damaged and there was no damage on the normal, fully-leaved side of the tree. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

There's no web, otherwise I would have suspected tent caterpillars. I keep checking the tree to see if anything unusual is hanging around out there.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

The web will come later when the little buggers have grown.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn