Planting apple trees from seed

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from seed? What's a good time of year to plant? Do I plant on pots or plant directly outside? I live in upstate New York.

Reply to
Big Duke

Here we go again! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I think I smell a troll.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Big Duke

There has been an ongoing discussion (argument) for about a week regarding growing apples from seed. That discussion (argument) is just now finally winding down.

Growing apples from seeds is terribly impractical if you are interested in the fruit -- unless have a lot of space for *big* trees to grow, you don't mind waiting 10 years for the tree to begin bearing, and you realize the fruit will probably be awful. With pruning and grafting you can replace all the branches with a good variety in just a couple of more years, so it's not like the 10 years was a total waste, but if you want an apple tree you are usually better off buying a named variety grafted onto semi-dwarf rootstock. Buy 2 trees of different varieties to pollenation unless there are flowering crabapples in your neighborhood or maybe your next-door neighbor has an apple tree.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yes, I think you must be a troll.

Sherw> > > >> Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has tried planting apple trees from > >> seed?

Reply to
sherwindu