apple trees gone? cherry trees coming?

I have an end of group townhouse with a small yard on the side. It's next to a small public park area with tall trees, so part of the morning, all available planting spots are in the shade. Where do I plant my new cherry trees next spring It says at least 10 feet apart. They would look good if they were planted in the same spots as the 2 dead and dying apple trees. Is it better to plant where a tree had been, or in a new spot? I have soil with loads of clay, and I've lost 2 dogwood trees I planted because, I guess, even though I conditioned the soil with -- I forget all that I used -- but I adjused the acidity and mixed in peat moss or whatever I was told, I think the problem was that I didnt' do this to a big enough ball of dirt, didn't make a bigger than recommended hole.

I figure the presence of a 26 year old tree has fully conditioned the hole and the dirt that surrounds it, if I plant in the same place and dig out the center of the roots (where the hole will be.)

Also, these spots are attractively positioned between some, admittedly ugly, 15 foot bushes, and a poplar? tree that started growing on its own and is now 20 feet tall.

Also, one tree is not yet dead, but even if I spray next spring, I'm not sure I can save it. But maybe I can and maybe I should either buy just one cherry tree, or I should buy two and plant one where those ugly bushes are??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Background. My two apple tress have been doing less and less well because of cedar apple rust. Admittedly, I didn't spray, partly because I was in a bad mood, and partly because I was scared of the poison. They told me I got the last can of it, because it had been banned.

So one finished dying this past summer and I cut it up and it's gone.

The other still had fruit at the start of the fruit growing season, but they didn't live to maturity. (I think they grow so much and get sucked back into the tree.) This was a 26 year old tree that used to give more apples than I could deal with.

But I'm sort of tired of apples and the rust is probably still around, so i thought I would get two (different) dwarf cherry trees from Miller's Nurseries.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

Well the good news is that Miller Nurseries is a class act. We had mail-ordered from them in the past and then stopped by their place on a vacation drive thru upstate NY. We were very pleased. Our dwarf fruit trees could have used more space than the 10' suggested. The first thing I'd do would be to cut that Poplar tree down and get it out of there. As far as the roots of the apple trees, I pull small stumps out with a tractor and a lot of root comes with it but it might be a big chore to dig them out.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I agree with the Sgt. But my recommendation is in the future, you can use the products directly with the irrigation system, if you are using drip irrigation.

lawnmower_man80

I'm glad to hear that. I was referred to it by a garden shop around here that even sells trees, but I guess not many fruit tress.

There is no stump and few roots left. Maybe that is because of the cedar apple rust, but nonetheless. I can probably rip out any roots that are in the way. The apple tree roots seemed pretty shallow, especially the other tree, which fell over twice. But I put it back and that's not what killed it.

Do cherry tree roots stay near the surface like the apple tree roots seemed to?