lawn problem

hi, i had a concrete base for a shed that i removed in july and to

soiled over.I then seeded the topsoil with "tuffgrass" as i have little ones, initially it took very well and i had lush green stron grass but now after its last cut the rest of the lawn is long and lus and the square patch of approximately 12ft by 5ft has turned a yellow colour and is growing far slower than the rest of the garden..any idea guys?

-- jellyfish

Reply to
jellyfish

LOL lemme get this straight...

You just threw some dirt over the top of a big concrete pad, and planted grass on it? My first question has got to be, "WHY?".

My next question would have to be, "Is this a troll?". Because, if it is, you got me good.

IF you're serious...

How deep is the soil? What kind of soil? What kind of setup did you allow for drainage?

Don't you now have a big, square/rectangular "hump" of lawn now? That's GOTTA look more strange than a concrete pad. I have a 16x20' concrete pad in my back yard, that used to have a basketball goal at one end. The goal's been removed, and the pad now holds my shed, and any piles of garden mix and mulch that I buy, until it's ready to be dispersed, a garden trailer, and any limbs that fall from my trees, until they can be disposed of. Sure beats the hell out of having all that stuff sit on my lawn, killing areas. ;)

A concrete pad in your yard can be quite useful. I doubt seriously that you will be able to get lawn to grow there, to your liking. Either remove the pad, and THEN put in a lawn, or learn to live with the pad, and utilize it.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

-- jellyfish

Reply to
jellyfish

I think he meant he "removed" the concrete and then filled in with "top soil".

The concrete probably had been like adding lime to the soil for years.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

[....]
Reply to
Jim

Ok. *whew* glad it was me. I kinda figured I read it wrong, but I couldn't stop laughing, to read it again. =)

I agree with the Sarge and Jim. Take samples from that area, and test the pH.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

It needs fertilizer.

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Reply to
kevin crowl

no. fertilizer without first knowing the pH is not a prudent thing to do under any circumstance.

Reply to
Jim

I had to chime in on this......

You can do a PH test, but the patch in question is already telling you that something is wrong. Added fertilizer will probably do nothing more, and maybe even kill the young grass.

I had a similar problem - removed a tree, had the stump ground down, and the stump wood chips hauled away. Filled in the depressed area with top soil and seeded with tall fescue. Man! The seed came in beautifully, but

3 weeks later the newly seeded area is looking yellow and discolored. I do not know the chemistry behind this is, but I recognized what was happening - the soil was low in IRON which inhibits the grass plant from taking up nutrients. I went to the local big box hardware store and bought an iron supplement that is applied via hose end sprayer. Made two applications 3 weeks apart and the area greened up REAL NICE! The patch is practically filled in after 2.5 months. Only used 1/3 of the 16oz bottle of liquid iron supplement.

Lou Reyna Virginia Beach, VA

jellyfish wrote:

Reply to
Lou