Lawn problems

Hello...any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I live in New England and this summer (June) I had new sod put down around my house. I watered it every morning and every evening. I did very well all summer - green and plush. This fall, however, I am seeing a much different story. I am deveoping broad leafed weeds and this other ugly development. I have certain areas where the grass seems to have rust spots on the blades. It is spreading quickly. It seems to come off on my shoes and the lawn mower. It is almost like it is sray painted on the lawn.

Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it and bring my lawn back to where it was previously???

Thanks

Reply to
Hotoy Fukaka

Doug G

That "rust-like" disease is called rust. It's not a serious problem and usually gets going when the weather conditions are right and the grass is not growing quickly enough to outgrow the disease.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Most weeds should be diminishing by now, but if you have a significant problem and types that will continue to grow, then apply broadleaf weed control. If you haven't fertilized, I'd use a weed/feed product. You should have fertilized in early sept and again about now. Stop watering it twice a day. That was appropriate when the sod was put down in June and during the hot weather. By now you should be watering about twice a week if it hasn't rained. Excess water promotes disease and fungus and has killed more lawns than not watering enough. I'd also test the PH and adjust if necessary.

Also, I'd call the company that put the sod down and ask them to come look and give you an opinion.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Elemental Mr. Watson, the Sox won the World Series, so Hell is freezing all over New England.

Two years from now it will be OK, same thing happened to us in Tampa when the Bucs won the Superbowl.

Reply to
Victor A. Garcia