Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pumpkins Planted
I planted ten hills of pumpkins this morning and three hills of cantaloupes . We switched two sections of gardens from their usual use over a number of years; Vegetable Left is the new pumpkin patch...

a few pics
i had a moment to start on the pictures last night so these two were the first selections. the strawberry patch in bloom (from yesterday early evening): what a difference a few years and a redo make...
4
4

Rollin' right along ... now
Well , here we are in mid-May , and it ain't so bad . We had like 3 frosts just a couple of days apart in mid/late April , and it looked bad for a while . It got all the buds on many of our oak trees...
5
5

Marigold Destruction
Although marigolds aren't edible, I though someone on this list might have had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden marigol ds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the...
32
32

I need weed advice
Hi All, The weeds are winning. I got down on my hands and knees with my knee pads and gloves and took out two 45 gallon trash bags of weeds this week. Mostly cheat grass. And that is only 2/5 of the...
7
7

Ping Songbird: onion seeds
Hi Songbird, The green onions I planted last years in my farrow bin are going nuts! I have been ripping their leaves off regularly. Now they are starting to seed. They look like this: I would like to...
5
5

Possible freeze. To water or not to water?
Hi All, I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week in June. We have been having a lot of hot weather, so I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of cherry tomatoes and...
18
18

Dry enough to plow
Is also dry enough to start planting . Got the weeds knocked down and the garden tilled today , and started planting with some Rutgers tomatoes . Got too hot (and I broke my posthole digger*) so I...
3
3

Hoop House Worked Well
We removed the hoop house tunnel from one of the garden rows today. The beans and corn that my wife planted in there on April 1 were doing well and have a month head start on the growing season.

on to the next part
today i finally finished up breaking apart all the old rotting pallets. what a mess. i rescued what wood i could and the stuff that has a lot of rusting nails in it i can use as fill in a spot where...
6
6

And so it begins
 Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some...
9
9

hoarders and greenhouse plants?
Hi All, Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green house plants too? Or just seeds? -T
17
17

Where to buy seeeds
Hi All, I just got my computer prompt to buy seeds to plant in late may. Problem: Burpee is out of stock on virtually everything. I presume it is because of the RED Chinese virus of death and...
8
8

New Gardener
I have a retired friend who decided to take up vegetable gardening this yea r. My wife and I discussed various basic gardening techniques, like tilling , composting, fertilizing, weeding, etc., with...
6
6

Mealy Bugs
My wife keeps her citrus trees in the greenhouse over the winter. This year, they had a really bad infestation of mealy bugs, which leave a powdery white residue on the leaves, as pictured in the link...
1
1