Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

pear tree - propagating from root-shoots ?
My neighbour decided to cut down a lovely large healthy old pear tree in their front yard - ~ 2 years ago. Walking by yesterday I noticed many dozens of - what looked like - little pear trees emerging...
4
4

Boric acid and organic gardening question
Hi All, The target is earwings. And maybe add some soy sauce (they love fermented stuff) to increase the lure. Will this mess up my organic garden with chemicals? Many thanks, -T
3
3

Tropical Storm Passed By
A tropical storm went up the Atlantic coast this morning. We were on the fr inge of the storm but got several hours of steady rain. Probably better tha n a sudden downpour, it gave the rain time to...
3
3

Senshyu Yellow Onions sets
Hi All, Anyone know of an American supplier of Senshyu Yellow Onions sets (little round balls)? Every I find is in England. Many thanks, -T

Question about regular peas
This might be stupid and sound like a troll but it's not and a serious question. Many times in the past, we picked peas from a local farm. Would come home and "shell" them for the peas inside. The...
5
5

Japanese Beetles
Were eating my beans up pretty badly , but I'm somewhat controlling their numbers now . I sprayed the plants - blue lake pole beans - before they flowered with some fruit tree spray (checked with my...
7
7

First cherries!
Hi All, I took a real risk this year planing my cherry tomatoes a month early. Two freezes and they survives. I was very, very luck. 6 of my 10 peppers did not. Anyway, my foolishness paid off...
3
3

Carrot Transplants
My wife tried an experiment with carrots. She planted seeds in flats in the greenhouse, then transplanted them to the garden. The transplant seems to have made them go crazy; they have multiple roots,...
2
2

Moderator?
Is there a moderator or someone who has control of this group? I didn't mind the occasional spam posting for drugs, but this morning there were 13 posted. If anyone is in charge, please remove them....
11
11

bug eaten Napa Cabbage
We made 25 pounds of sauerkraut yesterday morning. We had to check the oute r layers of cabbage head leaves as there were frequently slugs under them; I think the slugs are the major cabbage predators...
4
4

ping Songbird: onion seeds
i'd let them go a bit longer, when those green pods start splitting open then you will see some black seeds. that is when i normally would cut off the flower head and put it in a box top to finish...
2
2

Eating rosemary?
I find wandering the suburb and testing what I see on my travels gives me a much better idea of what I want. When I see what I want my next trip is with a pair of secateurs and a door knock to take a...
6
6

cat skat
... if it isn't a veggie garden i'd not worry about it other than the smell. songbird
3
3

scapes question
Huh. This years scapez are very woody. Like a garlic flavored toothpick. Will they still cook up?
4
4

done with planting
other than a few bare spots i'll poke a few seeds into the gardens are all planted for the season. just in time for the strawberries to start coming in enough to keep me busy with those and watering....
2
2