first tomatoes put up

picked yesterday morning and put them up last night once it cooled off a bit outside.

i don't really much like the variety of tomatoes we planted as they are texturally like store bought tomatoes, they were hard and not much flavor. next batch i will leave hanging on the plants a few more days, but i don't think that's going to help that much.

oh well, they'll get used no matter what, they can always be adapted and adjusted for uses in recipes.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Hi Songbird,

Chop then into a saute pan. Wait for them to condense down. Add salt, garlic, and oregano.

Then add eggplant, zucchini, are whatever goes with tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese.

Culinary heaven!

-T

My wife really likes her Italian tomato press :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote: ...

ugh! plastic, i don't buy plastic kitchen gadgets if i can help it.

after scalding the tomatoes and removing the skins i cut out the core and stem and then it is easy enough to cut them into chunks and put those up. i don't mind seeds in what i put up.

the only time i process tomatoes differently is when i'm making juice, but in the case of juicing i don't remove the skins at all, i just core them and chop them up and then cook them down a while to make the food mill easier to extract all the juice.

T i'm not talking about just a few tomatoes here, our first picking was 26lbs. i hope we can get about 120 quarts this season from 12 plants aside from what we eat or give away.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

¡Ay, caramba!