Just Picked It Up

Got a G0555 Grizzly Ultimate 14" Bandsaw sitting in the garage. I just picked it up from the terminal instead of waiting till monday to have it delivered. I opened the box and everything looks perfect, no shipping damage.

More after I set it up tomorrow evening. I'm pumped :)

Reply to
Bruce

bruce gloated merrily .......

Sweet

As we are discussing in another Grizz post, the best way to insure against shipping damage and being caught with your pants down when the delivery guy shows up, is to pick it up at the terminal.

Cheers Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

You may be right. Mine was pristine. It took me about an hour and a half from cracking the box to test cutting a board. It was quite easy to assemble the base. The unit is a bit heavy for one man to lift up onto the base but not one excited motivated one :)

The only assembly trouble I had was, stupidly, one I'd read about here. There is a set of bolt holes ABOVE the ones you're supposed to use to attach the fence. As soon as I set the fence down, I realized my mistake because it was 1/4" above the table. The reason this happens is that the bottom holes are countersunk and so they don't appear threaded. I have no idea what the top holes are really for.

I had trouble getting the blade to "flutter" to tension it. It appeared to me that when it stopped fluttering, it was less tension than a 1/8" blade would require according to the base reference marks. I ended up cranking it back up closer to the 3/8" marks.

After a test run, I cut a few curly wavy cuts in some plywood like butter. I then did a 1/16" slice of cherry off a 4" wide board, about a foot long. It cut straight just running the board right along the fence and I ended up with a fairly smooth cherry veneer that was fairly even thickness the entire length.

Now was the time to try it on the real thing. I got my 3' piece of 8/4 black walnut, 6" thick. I set up a finger board, set it to cut a sheet of paper thick and pushed it through. Keep in mind I'm using the factory 6 tpi 3/8" blade because my 2 tpi from Timberwolf isn't here yet. After cutting this walnut, I almost don't see that I need it. It certainly didn't cut at 1" per second like my friends 17" Jet with the 2 tpi 1" Timberwolf, but it cut about an inch every 3 seconds and tracked straight. The finished veneer mic's at around 1/16" with about .010 variance. It is a little thick on bottom meaning my table was a bit out of square. After I set that, I anticipate being very pleased.

It is quiet and smooth, easy to setup and I'm one happy camper right now!!

Next week I get my other blades and the riser kit.

Reply to
Bruce