first time bandsaw user/owner blade question

Hiya folks, I need to look at some blades for a Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw w/6" riser kit I just ordered yesterday (WOOOO HOOOO!!!). First off, many thanks to all who've written here about this bandsaw - I probably wouldn't have purchased it without all the positive (and negative) feedback I've read here.

Secondly, I'm green when it comes to bandsaws. I just picked up the Duginske Bandsaw Bench Reference and have been reading it like a man possessed! I'm up to the point where he discusses blades. I never knew there were so many and I'm a bit confused on what I should get to start and play around with. I understand the blade that ships with the thing isn't very high quality, maybe that is my best starting point but what do I get by going to a more expensive blade (timberwolf seems to be the group fav as best I can tell)?

I plan on using the bandsaw to cut wide radius curves and resaw. I will be using a variety of woods, both hard and soft.

thanks in advance for any help!! Eric

Reply to
Wookie

I was in the same boat and called Suffolk Saw. Told 'em what I wanted to play/learn with and they recommended a couple of choices.

Reply to
mttt

Use Timberwolf brand blades. You won't regret it.

Reply to
Bob Davis

I purchased the Delta 14" bandsaw with a riser block about 18 months ago. So,I have only moderate experience with bandsaws but this is what I have learned from experience to date about bandsaw blades. Buy top quality bandsaw blades. I have purchased both "cheap" blades and more expensive blades and have found there is a world of difference in my satisfaction with the more expensive blades. I have been very pleased with the Timberwoof blades that I finally got to using. I have had good results with a 3/4" wide course hooked tooth blade Timberwoof blade for resawing. I also like the 1/4" wide Timberwoof course tooth blades for cutting moderate tight radius curves and for just general bandsaw sawing. Both blades will leave the cut edge a little rough but do a good job on stock that is thicker than

3/8" thick.

I have tried blades that have a high number of teeth per inch. For me, most of the time, they just cause problems in 3/4" or thicker stock. They tend to burn the wood or cut too slowly for my preferences. Since the time and effort needed to change from one blade to another is moderate, I find that I would rather set my bandsaw up to be able to do a variety of general purpose jobs than to spend my shop time changing blades. Although if I have a paticular project to do with it, I do change blades to optimize the bandsaw for that project. By the way, I use my bandsaw for more "little" day to day jobs than I ever imagined I would before I purchased the saw about 18 months ago. I hope you enjoy your saw as much as I have.

Lets make some sawdust.

Reply to
Joe Nation

Pick up a copy of this month's edition of Fine Woodworking, which contains a review of bandsaw blades. (Timberwolf was rated mediocre. There are better blades for the money, or equally good blades for less money.)

John Carlson