Best Bandsaw under $500?

I'm thinking of buying a bandsaw, mostly for resaw work, but possibly for cutting tenons and whatnot as well.

What brands/features do you recommend?

The Grizzly G0555 seems nice for the money, but I really don't know much about bandsaws. And, $500 is still a bit more than I really have to spend.

Are there any less expensive bandsaws that are worth the money?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

HerHusband wrote: ...

Sure - they're used, but they CAN be good deals. Look around a local classifieds, auctions, eBay, Craigslist, etc. If you're patient and learn what to look for, you can get a good machine for a great price. In the 14" range, apparently the older Delta/Rockwell models have better castings than the new ones, so even if you need to replace tires, guide bearings, drive belt, etc., it may still be a good deal. I'd recommend getting one of Duginske's bandsaw books (there are several) as well as an Iturra Designs catalog, which is a great resource for bandsaw information as well as parts/upgrades (no website,

904-371-3998). Good luck, Andy
Reply to
Andy

I beliee that Grizz offers one a bit less expensive. It would be along the lines of a Delta or Ridgid - $350 -$400 range.

Depend upon your expectations and needs. Are the less expensive ones capable of doing resawing? A limited amout and not wider than 6" unless you add a riser block. For my occassional needs and the types of projects that I do I have had no issue with the Ridgid recertified saw that I bought at a Cummins Tool show. I know that there are better saws but for my needs it works just fine. It's easy to get caught up in the bigger, better, more trap. Buy what you realistically need. OTOH, most people who over-buy don't complain.

Reply to
C & E

If you live in a more populous area keep an eye out the local newspaper classifieds in the "Tools" section or even better the estate sales and auctions. There are very good deals to be had at some privately run estate sales (not all). Tools are often sold by family members who don't want to move them around and want to get rid of them. I have seen some where radial arm saws, table saws and band saws are sold with every accessory imaginable for a pittance.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I agree with Ron, look for a good used one.

Dave

Teamcasa

After shopping for a new BS in the same price range, I chose on the Craftsman 14" model 22401. I *believe* it's actually made by Rikon -- even the stickers on the doors are the same. With a cast iron table and wheels (reduced vibration, increased stability), 8" resaw capability (thickness), a 1HP induction motor (very quiet), and roller guide bearings (instead of blocks), you'd have to spend a lot more for anything else that's comparable. I've used mine quite a bit to make veneers, bent laminations and panels. A *lot* nicer than the $99 Delta 9" wobble-monster I was using.

Some people bought this saw this weekend for an unbelievable $319. YMMV. You can also find recent discussions on

for "+bandsaw +sears" in the Power Tools forum.

Reply to
slashdev

Better yet, run a "band saw wanted" in the same local paper, in the tools and building matierals section. I did so last winter and was offered a half-dozen saws ( I live in a town of about 50,000) including three that suited my needs perfectly-- 14" Jet, Griz, and Delta saws that were fairly similar. I chose the Jet, largely because it was barely used and included lots of extras (Carter guides, Jet's larger fence, 3 spd kit, many blades, mobile base, etc.). The kicker? All three of the 14" saws were $225-250 in really good condition.

I was also offered a 25" BS that was probably 50-60 years old, 3-phase power and would have needed a lift to move. The guy only wanted $150 for that one.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

I agree with slahdev. I bought the Sears also and it is far better than most I've found in that price range. I know a lot of people don't care for Sears BUT the price ...service... and most of all the quality are there in the

Reply to
Lee

The best bandsaw for under $500 is the Grizzly G0555 for $425, no question about it. Why would you buy a cheapo for a little bit less than that, and before long try to sell the cheapo and step up to a better one? It doesn't make sense to me. My 2 cents worth.

Reply to
Tom

Tom I hope your not referring to the Sears as a cheapo. I think it's way above that and the Grizz is a great one but factor in the freight and ( call freight went up) and it's a lot more. Of course thats' my opion and I respect yours.

Reply to
Lee

Lee, I live about 350 miles from Springfield, MO. My wife and I took a trip to Branson and on the way back I stopped at Grizzly and loaded the G0555 into my SUV. $425 + 6 1/2% sales tax. If you ever get a chance visit one of their warehouse showrooms. It's a real experience.

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote

I got some great bargains in their scratch and dent section at one of the showrooms. And seeing all those tools set up is a little intimidating. You know no matter how much money you spend, you will have little effect on the local tool population.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If you're considering a G0555 also take a look at Harbor Freight's 14" saw. The 4 speed saw goes on sale several times a year in the $220-250 range. However, if you are planning on using it mainly for resawing, I don't think you will be happy with either. Occasional resawing, fine, but neither of these is really made for lots of resaw use.

Reply to
lwasserm