Bandsaw choice for resawing?

I'm looking for a bandsaw that will allow me to resaw my own veneers (1/8th inch) from hardwoods like cherry, maple, and maybe some imports as well. Ideally, I'd like to be able to work with 6 to 10 inch wide stock. I've read lots of reviews, been to google, and I know there are expensive saws ($1000+) that can do it, but I'd like something less expensive that can handle the work. None of the reviews I've seen seem very specific, so I'm wondering if any of you with experience resawing veneers can tell me what works and what doesn't. I'm not as concerned with speed as I am with accuracy. For examples, I'm wondering if either the Grizzly G0555 or the Delta 28-206 are up to the task? Thanks, Denny

Reply to
Denny

With the "profit point" engineering on current band saw models, IMO your best bet is to find an older machine. Were I in the market today for a 14" bandsaw, I would try hard to find a used Delta 28-299.

Reply to
Swingman

Theoretically yes. For those saws, get a Woodslicer blade, and you will ahve to go slowly.

In the end, it's like using a Sears benchtop tablesaw over a Powermatic 66 or Unisaw. While they do the same job, some do it faster, or with greater accuracy.

You basically want to take some very deep cuts from a hardwood and expect them to come out reasonably smooth, with little deflection.

The bigger bandsaws exist for that sole purpose; they allow you to adjust the tension properly for such heavy duty cutting (and resawing something 10" high is very major duty). If that is what you want to do on a regular basis, then you really want the MiniMax/Laguna/Agazzani type saw. Because if you are doing a lot of this type of cutting, you want the Lennox Carbide blade, and the

25,000 psi of tension the blades require (and the high end Delta 14" bandsaw will give you about 14,000 psi if you use the Iturra kit to increase tension).

You might not save money, since you will probably produce a lot of veneer that will belong on the scrap heap, if you do a lot.

Reply to
DarylRos

Your "scrap heap" is a bit black and white, and I don't feel that's really the case. I guess my first questions would be the quantity he expects to cut each year, and the additional processing and use. If it's a lot of linear feet, and if he needs the best finish coming off the BS, then I'd agree with your recommendations. Except I'd add a feeder, as the constant feed itself gives a better finish, not to mention the reduced labor.

However, for a few projects/year, and if a limited budget, the Delta, Jet or Grizzly will work. The Woodslicer blade another fellow recommended will do well. What is also needed with a BS of this class, however, is perhaps a bit more knowledge of how to pr>>For examples, I'm wondering if either the Grizzly G0555 or the

Reply to
GerryG