Resawing Capacity

I've been reading the archives searching for information on resawing as I've never owned, but am about to buy, a bandsaw. I am interested in the group's opinion of buying a bandsaw with resaw capacity greater than the width of my jointer. (6") If the board I am resawing is wider than my 6" jointer, can I use a slave board on my planer and make a face good enough to put against my resaw fence? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Robinson

It sounds like your question is how to joint a board more than 6" wide.

Some people do have methods for using a sled and shims to use the planer sort of like a jointer. I have never had much success with this method myself. I usually either rip the board to multiple 6" widths, joint them, and edge glue. If I don't want to leave a visible seam then I'll joint the board by hand using a handplane, and then send it through the planer.

My 14" bandsaw has a riser kit but I don't often resaw past 6". The jobs I do most on my bandsaw are ripping rough lumber, sawing curves, and resawing veneer for marquetry.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Hand plane. It's good exercise, and a lot less noisy! Otherwise- a bandsaw doesn't kick back like a table saw; I've resawed rough stock that was flat and close to parallel with no problems.

Reply to
Prometheus