Laguna bandsaw bogging down resawing

I've got an LT16, 1.5 HP motor with the old style euro guides on it. Ive had this saw for about 10 years..doing mostly scroll work with an

1/8th blade. Well, times change, I have found need to resaw a pile of cypress boards 6" wide, 1" thick . I set a high fence up, got everything squared and true.....went to saw the 1st board..........got into it about 1'..........and the motor started bogging down badly. I'm using a 3 TPI blade specifically for resaw work.......and.........well..............cypress just isnt that hard a wood... Anyone else have the same problem, any ideas? I'm just dissapointed after reading how excellant Lagunas were for resawing. I thought at 1st it was the size of the motor, but have read recent threads on here about folks resawing hardwoods succesfully with 1.5 HP grizzlys and other saws . Look forward to hearing any ideas on this Steve
Reply to
steve

This might be pretty obvious, but if you haven't re-sawed before, use a slower feed rate. I use a 14" Delta with 1 1/2HP, a Viking 3 TPI hook tooth and it's fine as long as I take it slow.

Cheers

Reply to
drifwood

Time how long it is taking you to go through # of feet and post it here. I know with my MUCH smaller motor Ryobi BS50N which was made for resawing, I takes a couple of minutes to go about 3.5" in 4-6" red oak.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

I have a Laguna LT16HD with 4.5 hp. Have you tightened the belt? I apparently had not properly adjusted the belt when I assembled it and the saw did the same thing. 3PTI is about the most you want to be using for resawing a board that wide. Laguna threw in a blade that has 1.3 TPI. I suspect they intended for that blade to be used for resawing.

Reply to
Leon

Idea: Have you set up a straight fence? Because, if you have, that is likely the problem: the sawblade has a slightly different direction in mind, tries to saw at an angle away from the fence and so you're achieving a taper/wedge that binds the blade.

If that is the case, set up a bullnose or triangular fence where the closest point is at the same 'height' as the cutting edge of the blade (reference, from the direction of feed) and adjust your feed-in angle so the blade stays on the mark at the top of the board you're resawing.

My experience: I've had the problem you describe occurring when just pushing a 3/4" board through, up against a straight fence. Took the fence away and freehanded it, and it cut like a hot knife through warm butter.

h.t.h., -Peter

Reply to
Peter Huebner