bandsaw selection

I am a casual woodworker, in the process of acquiring a new bandsaw to be used mainly for resawing large flitches. The saws I have been looking at are Grizzly brand, models G0513/G0513X (17") and G0475 (14"). For my purpose the main difference is the size of the wheels. I have been offered the opinion that the larger wheels, which will take a 1" blade (vs 3/4" for the smaller saw) has a very significant advantage for resawing. My gut feeling is that the 14" with 3/4" blade would be more than adequate for my particular needs.

Any opinion on whether or not I should opt for the larger wheels would be much appreciated. Comments on this particular brand, and on these specific models also welcome.

Carlo G, BC, Canada

Reply to
cgio

My experience is that most 14" band saws available in the US do not handle

3/4" blades all that well. If you must have a 3/4" blade as your minimum requirement for intended use, then you will want to raise your sights toward a larger band saw.
Reply to
Swingman

Even thought the 14" claims that it supports 3/4" blades, they are not ideal. The smaller size of the wheels means that they will tend to break sooner, the crown of the wheel means that they are not properly supported, and the saw likely cannot tension them properly.

Most people tend to stick with 1/2" or maybe 5/8" blades as a max blade width on 14" bandsaws.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Not being foamier with either model I can only throw in that when resawing wheel "mass" tends to become more important. All things being equal the bigger wheel would have more mass. The wider blades will be more beneficial if you are going to be cutting thin veneer as blade deflection becomes more of a problem with the thinner blades. I have no problem resawing 8" with a

1/2" blade but when cutting veneers I go with either the 3/4 or 1" blade.
Reply to
Leon

FWW reviewed 14" bandsaws within the last issue or two. The Griz G0457 was "Best Value". Is the G0475 a typo/transposition or is there another model?

IMO, it depends on what you mean by "large". If the size you think you will try to resaw is approaching the max height capacity of the saw, I'd opt for the larger.

In the FWW review, the only drawback noted for the Griz was that blade changes were noted as "difficult", but the resaw tests were "good" for quality and among the fastest of all for the speed of cut (which translates to ease). The tall fence was complimented as being good for resawing. The Griz G055SX rated as "Good" on cut test and was somewhat less expensive but requires an optional riser block to get the same resaw capacity. It does appear to use the same fence, but has 1-1/2 instead of 2-hp motor and was three times slower on the timed resaw test (same 1/2" 3-tpi blade used for the resaw tests of all machine).

BTW, "Best Overall" was the Laguna, but it's twice the price...

Reply to
dpb

I had little luck resawing with my Delta 14". I just traded up to the Grizzly 19" and am thrilled with it. It is probably twice the price of a 14", but if you can swing it, it is a great investment.

Others will tell you that I must just not be good at it; they resaw all day long on their 14" with no trouble. Thats great, but they ought to try a 19".

Reply to
Toller