bandsaw blade question

I have a Grizzly go555 band saw with the riser kit. I need to resaw some 6" walnut. Essentially I'll be splitting the pieces down the middle - approx

3/8".

I have a choice of Olsen blades - 3/4" skip tooth or 1/2" skip tooth. Is the

3/4" blade overkill for this operation? For some reason, I find it easier to control the cut using the 1/2" but some things that I've read indicate the larger the better for resawing.

Any opinions?

Thanx -

Vic Baron

Reply to
Vic Baron

The once you control better is the best one to use. The folks at Suffolk Machinery recommend a 1/2" blade for my Jet 14" even though it has the capacity to take a 3/4" blade. Makes a good cut easily and accurately so I'll continue to use it.

That whole larger is better thing is a myth, not just for bandsaws either. ;) Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanx for the input. My gut was saying to go with the one I felt more comfortable with - just needed affirmation, I guess .

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:01:37 GMT, "Vic Baron" brought forth from the murky depths:

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You're going to have to figure what works best for you, your bandsaw, its setup, and the project ... and ultimately, you won't get that out of a book, but through testing and trial and error. I use a 1/2" 3 tpi blade for resawing on my 14" bandsaw because I can tension it better .. took me a while to get the right combination, but it works very well.

Reply to
Swingman