2) The Grizzly 14" "Ultimate Bandsaw" with a riser block

3) Installing a bigger motor on the Ridgid (it has a 3/4HP motor now).

The last alternative was suggested by the sales guy at my local Woodcraft store, where I was looking at the 14" Rikon.

Can y'all comment on these alternatives? Budget is an issue - so I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck. Are there other alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

#3 may be the best and most cost effective option. IMO, the incremental increase in the other 14" saws is small for the cost. If you step up to a Laguna 18", that would make a bigger difference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What brand blade are you using, and how long have you boon using it? Wandering is a function of the blade. Donna Menke, The Ultimate Band Saw Box Book author,

Donna

No.

The cheapest upgrade would be to change blades. Try a good brand blade with no more than 3 tpi, if you see no suitable improvement you may want to go the larger motor route provided you saw will handle it and hold up.

The other brand saws you mentioned would most likely be a lot of money spent for a minimal amount of improvement over what you have now. I went from a

1/2 hp Craftsman to a 2 hp 18" Rikon and did enjoy more power but was terribly disappointed in the overall performance of the saw. I paid $1K for a upgrade saw and got $100 worth of improvement IMHO. The saws you mentioned are a good value if you don't have a BS now but not much of a sep up from any other BS. I got rid of the Rikon 2 to 3 weeks later and went with a an LT16HD Laguna. Problem forever solved.

Remember, make sure you have a blade made for resawing before any other improvement.

Reply to
Leon

Welcome Donna.

Reply to
Leon

I would stay away from a Grizzly. If budget is an issue, I suggest you wait and lurk at your local craigslist, you will see Delta tools and bandsaw for sales. From experienced, in SFO you can find a good used Delta for $250 to $300. Even a vintage with solid cast-iron base Delta can be purchase for less than $300, you may need to put a few bucks to bring it to date. Just yesterday I found in craigslist SFO, Napa Valley another Delta 14" bandsaw for $250, similar to the one I bought. Today, it's gone!

Try this:

?query=bandsaw&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&hasPic=1

Reply to
WD