Bandsaw recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a 14" (or larger) 110Volt bandsaw There's no

220 outlets / feeds in the garage so those can't be considered. I've read that the delta an X???? model has vibration issues. So I was seeing what recommendations were on what to / or what not to get. Thanks!
Reply to
notImpressed

Here's what I have along with the 6" riser and H7584 resaw fence. With the Highland hardware 1/2" resaw woodslicer blade, I am impressed.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Sorry, here's the link:

Doug Winterburn

That Grizzly looks nice and they usually have the best deals. Not sure why = but Ridgid 14" Bandsaw at Home Depot is only $350. I have a used one that s= erved me well but I don't use it anymore after an upgrade to an 18". The Ri= dgid lists as 15 Amps and the Griz is only 11. I live in Livermore and woul= d sell you my Ridgid older but not used much for $150.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I have the Grizzly 14" with riser block. Once set up it works fine. But every time I raise or raise or lower the guide, all three upper blade guides have to be adjusted. The upper guide bar is round with a flat on it, and it wants to turn unless tightly clamped in. Some saws I've seen have a hexagonal shape, which makes more sense.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

How long does that take, Jer?

I can just hear the two rent-a-cops arguing over which one goes over there and tells the worm to move...I guess that argument ended with them using the horn.

-- And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -- Anaïs Nin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Readjusting the guides every time you raise or lower the guard, too damn long. And another reason I recommend Laguna. It has a round upper guide bar with a flat spot but does not have this issue.

For the original poster, I was going to put my two cents worth in but you immediately ruled out 220 volts so....

Basically with a BS you get what you pay for. An inexpensive BS will work well when set up properly but how often will you have to set it up.

Something to consider, will a less expensive BS have a rigid enough back bone to prevent flex in the frame? When tensioning the blade if the frame gives even a little you have to readjust. When the blade expands from use the tension changes, will the frame flex when that happens?

Reply to
Leon

Wow, get his Ridgid. Great price. If you decide you need to upgrade in the future, you'll get your money back selling it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The 14" model currently being sold at HD appears to be an EOL closeout. Cheap is correct, but consumer reviews are horrible - no fence, no step locks, additional Rigid 6" riser is 1/2 the cost of the saw, motor is slightly underpowered for any serious heavy work in hardwood, stock blade is absolute junk and should immediately be replaced OOB, vibration issues and a host of other problems.

I cannot comment from personal experience, but reviews from actual consumers and knowledgeable users are not good. Most end up spending extra bucks just getting this model up to decent performance levels, even for hobby use.

Recommend spending a few extra bucks up-front for a decent Grizzly or Steel City.

Not saying don't buy, simply encouraging a little research and thought before jumping on this one...

Reply to
Digger

I have about the worst 14" bandsaw ever sold (Reliant) and it too has a round bar with a flat; however, I don't have to readjust the guides after moving it because - if necessary - I swivel it to position the guides properly after raising/lowering it and before tightening it. Once the locking screw is tightened, there is no way it is going to turn.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've got the 14" Rikon with the 13" resaw capability and am quite pleased with it. I've had it for a few years now. But it is expensive compared to a 14" with the normal 6" resaw.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Digger wrote in news:b4c6a$4f5f69aa$ae835b63$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

*snip*

When it comes to riser blocks, there's a good chance a cheaper one will be available for another saw. My Jet has a Powermatic riser block, and everything fits just fine.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yep fer shore. Grizzly gets about $70.00 but Rigid wants &200.00+. Howsomeever, you get a forever & ever lifetime warranty as long as you pay round trip shipping! :-)

Reply to
Digger

What you did not say was exactly what you planned on doing with it. If you want something to do general bandsaw work, I would recommend the HF 14" with a WoodSlicer blade from Highland Hardware. They used to sell a riser block, which I have, for it to give it a 12" to 13" resaw capability.

If they no longer sell the riser block, get a riser block from Grizzly, they are essentially the same machine.

On the other hand, if you want to use it to slice 1/16" veneer from exotic hardwoods, get a Laguna or one of the other high dollar items.

In either case, get the WoodSlicer blade - there just isn't any better. I have tried, Olson, Timberwolf, and Carter, the Woodslicer wins hands down.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

It's the same company. They just part the part a different color.

Reply to
Headless /body

Headless /body wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NotReallyAn.example.com:

Oh it's more than that... There's a lot of clones of the original Delta bandsaw out there, so things that fit one are likely to fit another.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

notImpressed wrote in news:XnsA014DC2AAE0FCasdasdasdasdasdasdas@69.16.185.250:

Something to think about is that of dust collection. Some use a pathetic

2" port screwed on to the door with the intent of checking a box on a list. Cutting a 12" path through a 12" long log produces a lot of sawdust, and it's got to go somewhere. Dust often collects on the tires and causes vibration.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

NOT the same company, they are however owned by the same company, Walter Meier.

Reply to
Leon

"Puckdropper" wrote

*Is* there a bandsaw on the market that has effective dust collection?

Max

Reply to
Max

Reply to