About to buy Bandsaw & Jointer, Recommendations?

I've been shopping on the internet, reading reviews, etc. I'm close to ordering an "Ultimate Bandsaw" Grizzly G0555 for $415 Shipped. Also I have been looking at their Jointer G1182Z for $380 Shipped. I have read some good reviews on both of these products. Are their better buys on similar equipment that would be recommended?

I was at Lowes today, they have the Delta JT360 6" Jointer for $349 but I'm not sure how this compares with the Grizzly, any recommendations?

Also, Lowes had the Delta SS200 scroll saw for $59, I bought one, hope it is OK, if not, it will motivate me to fix the Hegner sooner.

Thanks!

Reply to
RogerN

Consider the Yorkcraft 6" jointer.

is essentially the same piece as the Delta 37-195, a significant step-up from the JT360, at a much cheaper price than even the JT360. I also hear Wilke does very good setup and double checks on their machines but couldn't say whether that's true for mail order or just in the showroom.

Reply to
<mslatter

See:

praise here in the newsgroup and a slightly longer bed than Grizzly or Delta. Nice sale price right now, too.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

70050126&PreviousCategory=Jointers

If you compare the $299 Yorktown (made in China), lever adjustment, to the

37-195, what would you compare the Bridgewood BW-6R to? It is on sale for $399. It is made in Taiwan. The BW has handwheels on dovetail ways.

Both have a "sale" price on shipping right now.

My needs are light duty and I'd grab one of these before a Jet or Delta if the quality is OK. Any comments? Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

How much do you want to spend?

I bought the G0555 bandsaw and am generally happy with it although the tensioning doesn't seem right. I can never get the blade truly tight. Now, in saying that, it's my first bandsaw so I have nothing to compare it to and for all I know, I'm trying to overtension it. I'm also still using the Grizzly supplied blade which is a piece of crap. That said, it rips boards perfectly straight out of the box with very little setup.

I also went with the 6" Sunhill. It's worked pretty well so far and was adjusted perfectly out of the box. It can be a bit tricky getting the fence to a true 90 sometimes (tighten that bolt, ooops, that moved the top. Loosen, hey, it's 90 now....basically it's a bit of trial and error). I had read somewhere that the Sunhills are from the same factory producing the JET jointers and if looks have anything to do with it, they prolly are.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

I can't give a recommendation other than Grizzly because I haven't used them. I've equipped two shops and have used two different Griz bandsaws (G1019 & G0555) and two different jointers (G1182 & G1182Z). I was very happy with the earlier models but even happier with the new G0555 and 1182Z.

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

I love mine and would buy another if I had to.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

Quality of the Yorkcraft is good. - I can't tell it from the Delta sitting in a local showroom as far as fit and finish goes. I found it to be set up well too. No problems with parallel surfaces, etc. Can't speak for the Bridgewood.

Jim Kirby

Reply to
James T. Kirby

This is exactly my setup and I like it very much. For the G0555, a good blade (Timberwolf etc) is very handy, as is good tensioning and adjustment of the guides. With the extension block, I had to loosen the max travel nut on the tensioner to get enough tension to suit me. With my homemade resaw fence I routinely cut veneers (for marquetry) at about 1/16".

The Sunhill is very nice, too. I too found the lock nut on the 90 degree fence to be a little finicky (shifted during lockdown), but once it was set and locked down it's never moved and I've never had occasion to move it. The extra bed length on the Sunhill is very nice.

Reply to
Nate Perkins