Bandsaw blade recommendations?

What do you guys prefer for BS blades? Need a 1/4 and 1/2 for my Jet 14. Takes a 93 1/2 blade. Also ... will the 1/2 inch be satisfactory for some small resaw work?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Forget the 1/4, get a 3/16 skiptooth.

Pick up the 1/2" Woodslicer too. You'll never regret it. Yes, it resaws.

dadiOH

Depending on the saw, yes I know you have a Jet, ;`) blades will differ.

About 6~7 years ago I upgraded from a 10" 1/3hp Craftsman to a 2 hp 18" Rikon. I bought Timberwolf blades for it had had nothing but trouble with tracking. Cheaper blades tracked well.

Long story short I returned the Rikon almost immediately and upgraded again to a LT16HD Laguna with 4.5 hp. Timberwolf gave me full credit for the unused blades and sold me 150" replacements for the Laguna. So far with 3 brands of blades the Laguna works well.

Some people love Timberwolf some hate.

For resawing with marginal HP you want as few teeth per inch as you can get. For good resawing I use a 1.25" Laguna ResawKing blade. For down and dirty and a trip through the drum sander I use a 1" blade with 1.25 teeth per inch.

You can resaw with anything however the rigidity of the saw is key in getting good results. Smaller blades tend to heat up faster than wider blades when resawing. When they heat up they expand and you loose tension. When you loose tension the results of resawing are not as good. Typically a really rigid saw will allow higher tension rates needed for the wider blades.

So for the most part it is finding the right combination blade for your particular saw.

I know I have not given the answer you are looking for but in my case it has always been a trial and error situation to find a blade that worked well until I up graded tho the Laguna.

Reply to
Leon

I use one on my Jet 14 and it works great. I do 95% of my cutting with it. Never gave it much thought until now, but it is long lasting too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski