Drill Press, Bandsaw and Jointer

What are the best for the buck of these three tools?

Reply to
News

That's too simplistic a view of tool purchasing. No such thing as "the best". ask 10 woodworkers what's the best bang for the buck and you'll get 8-10 different opinions.

First you need to define your needs.

and how much you are willing to spend on each one.

I'm happy with a $900 BS. Others won't spend over $400. and others wouldn't be caught dead with anything less than a big buckaroos BS.

Maybe you want to buy used? You didn't specify.

Maybe you want a table top DP. Maybe a floor model.

Get the point? Give more parameters before expecting an intelligent response.

Dave

Reply to
David

Sorry.

Looking for a floor model Drill Press.

Looking for about a 14" band saw.

Looking for at least a 6" jointer.

For heavy novice use in building furniture.

Reply to
News

'Smatter of fact... ask 10 and you'll get 12 opinions. :)

Reply to
Robatoy

Whichever one for which you have a more pressing need.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Least expensive

Arguably, most expensive. I lived without one for a long time. However, It's the *only* way to go if you want to do curves in thick stock or >6" resawing.

This is one to buy if and only if you have a planer and plan on working with rough-cut stock.

But as others have said get what you need for your next project.

Reply to
Stephen M

Tell me what kind of car you drive and I'll know more about where your priorities lie. If you think Hyundai is a great value, we'll steer you one direction. Honda or Toyota, another direction. If all you'll drive is Mercedes or Lexus then you have another idea about what best for the buck means. We're all here, the question is what's important to you?

DonkeyHody "You may not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

You need all of them, however IMHO, this is the order I would buy them to build furniture,

1st, bandsaw - hard to use something else. 2nd, jointer - can be replaced by other tools somewhat. 3rd, drill press - relatively easy to use other tools for most applications.

Dave

Teamcasa

Grizzly

Reply to
Dave

Where do you live, I'm about to sell a Delta 14" BS.. (Santa got me an

18" BS).
Reply to
bf