Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

FA : Original antique pedestal for washbasin. Art Deco era
Original antique pedestal for washbasin. Art Deco era 'spam' with 'org' to reply http://tinyurl.com/4zgb6

Cleaning Terrazo floor tiles
Dear colleagues, In our conservatory and downstairs lavatory we have a floor made of 9" square terrazzo tiles. This was laid before 1976, and on the whole it is fine. I clean it with Ecover floor...

Scholtés Gas Hib, Electric ignition
Dear colleagues, We have a Scholtés Gas hob in our kitchen, installed 1981. Model number is T 478 Gee Lux Inox UK 3180466. It has a mains electric ignition system, controlled by a push-button on the...

New Shower choice ?
Has anyone heard of a shower unit that connects to both hot and cold supplies, but also can heat water if the hot supply isn't warm ? I can find electric showers with cold feed only, or showers...
1
1

Pressure fall in Glowworm Boiler heating
Recently I moved to a house fitted with a Glow-worm Xtrafast 120 Combination Boiler. There is a small central heating water leak causing a pressure fall. I need to detach the half inch pipe at an...
2
2

ntl external box phone wiring
Can anyone help? lost my broadband last night (which later returned) ..so, I checked in the NTL box outside my window where the phone and broadband cables enter and found corrosion on the phone wiring...
2
2

Glazing Wardrobe doors
Hi, Can anyone recommend an alternative material to glass for glazing wardrobe doors? I have two spans of 1400mm w x 2500mm h, and I am making 2 sliding doors for each span - my worry is that full...
1
1

Carbon Monoxide detector
Anyone point the way to a seriously OTT sort - like the gas people use ? not some £20 job from B&Q Thanks
2
2

Repainting kitchen unit doors
I'm considering repainting my rather dark kitchen unit doors to brighten up my kitchen. They're a dark wood, quite heavily varnished and with a strong grain. I'm planning on taking each...
1
1

Danish oil and kitchen tops
Hi Ive just installed butchers block on my new kitchen work tops. Ive coated it with a few layers of danish oil with a brush but ive put it on so thick it shines! Waht should I rub it down with and...
2
2

UK Part P
Most sparks don't do the proper tests anyway - tis a money grabbing scam.
4
4

fitted cupboards
Hi all, Just got a quote for two fitted cupboards, made from MDF with sliding doors, about three or four feet wide and full height. The quote is about £600 for each all-in. Considering what I've...
1
1

decking, paving, block or concrete?
Hi, Price aside, what are the pros and cons of using any of these for patios? I have an existing concrete/hardcore patio which I want to make bigger, to a size of roughly 15 square metres. Which would...
5
5

Central heating boiler pump help please
Hi all, just recently the central heating in our house stopped working. It would appear that the pump is acting up, as the boiler (Glowworm Ultimate 50BF) still heats the hot water, and the room...
6
6

Boiler overheating
We have Britony combi boiler and just recently the boiler has been venting water out of the relief pipe outside, I have to top up the pressure each day, (down to .5 bar), the radiators also...