Added new radiator but not getting very warm...

I've just added a new radiator to my current system (5 year old house, ch&hw gas boiler). I did this by teeing off an existing radiator and I believed this may have been the last radiator ie. furthest from the pump (its downstairs). I fitted compression tee fittings though on the feed and return pipes of this existing radiator very close to the valves going in.

The new radiator is not getting very warm. I believe I have bleed all of the air out of the system. What is strange to me is that the return pipe going back from this new radiator seems to be very warm where as the feed pipe going in does not seem to get that warm at all.

Am I missing something? Have I not done the correct thing in fitting the tee's too close to the existing radiator? Is it a case of getting things balanced properly now? Or do I still have an air-lock somewhere? Lots of questions! Hope someone can give me a good answer?

Reply to
Andy Pandy

may be your friend

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are the TRV's adjustable to be either on the flow or return sides? If so this could well be your problem. Make sure you read the instructions for the valve carefully...cos it can be kind confusing which way is right (and can depend on whether you opted for a horizontal or vertical orientation of the valve). I suspect that you need to take the cover off the TRV and adjust the setting ring to its other setting.

cheers Glen

Reply to
Glen

Hmm, interesting. Its basically 10mm microbore piping so I bought two standard ie. not thermostatic, radiator valves with 10mm at the bottom where the pipe feeds in. I didn't buy a lockshield valve for the return side. I didn't think it would make much difference to be honest. Not sure what you mean exactly by the orientation of the valves?

I have seen the diy site the other poster mentioned but haven't had a chance to try the balancing act properly yet! One thing I have been doing though which seems to be a no no according to a lot of sites is bleeding the air out when the heating is ON which as I understand it could indeed let more air in, rather than out?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Ok forget what I said about TRV's! :) Just that many of the new ones can be fitted to operate with the control either in the horizontal or vertical position, and on either the flow or return sides. Inside them is a disc that needs to be set right to facilitate them. Anyhow.....forget that!

Have you tried closing the flow valve on the radiator you teed into? If that heats the new radiator it should just be a case of balancing. Try closing the lockshield on the donor radiator first and see if that gives the desired effect. It could still always be a bit of trapped air...or some gunk in the system.....so keep trying to bleed too I would say.

Failing that.....you sure you connected the new rad up the right way! ;)

cheers Glen

Reply to
Glen

Hehe. I got somewhere last night (although it was late!)

Did bleed some of the rads in the system (this time with the heating OFF) and did get some air out (not in the new rad though). I did muck around with the rad I have teed off and I think I've left it with the lockshield fully down and the feed on all the way (pretty sure its that way around!). Also the rad before it is in a similar state IIRC. Anyhow - somehow this seems to help and I am getting heat through to the new rad which suggests that balancing IS the issue as far as I can tell. I will persevere though because its all a bit weird and I want to understand what I have done to make it work better (but still not perfect!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy