Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Main fuse blowing - washing machine?
The fuse (in the fuse box) keeps blowing every time I turn on the washing machine. I have tried plugging it in to other sockets and the same thing happens. I guess this must be an electrical fault...
7
7

Bathroom Ceiling Recessed Extractor Fan
The one in my ensuite has stopped working. Any ideas where can I get a new one online. I have looked at the main DIY web sites but no luck yet? Ken
12
12

installing central heating from scratch
im thinking, only thinking mind, about installing central heating, we have warm air heating, so no rads, boiler or anything so its gonner be from scratch ! any decent websites, what rads i would need...
5
5

what type of paint for ceilings?
Do you just use normal white emulsion for painting ceilings?
1
1

Mould on bathroom ceiling
Hi. I have an extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling which works really well, and I always use it. However, on the ceiling in the corner "behind" the outlet I keep getting a slight buildup of black...
3
3

Monobloc Tap
Hi I have purchased a Monobloc Basin Tap. I wanted to fit this into a two hole basin. The diameter of the holes in the two hole basin are approx 34mm. I tried to fit the tap but it does not fit by...
3
3

Fensa
In the process of replacing a grotty and crumbling porch at the Giles' mansion - it was grotty and crumbling when we moved in a few years back but other jobs have been more pressing up till now. At...
4
4

Polishing new flooring
Hello every one .I have been lurking here for some time and notice it is a very helpful group so I am sure I will get the answer I need. I have just had a kitchen refitted including a new vinyl floor....

Double glazing
Not strictly DIY, but I'm too old for ladders these days, so I want some quotes for fitted uPVC double glazing. It seems impossible to obtain an online quote although I'm quite capable of measuring my...
6
6

Door Frame Trimming
I've not done this before so I thought Id come and ask you lot. I need to fit a new external door - Brick to brick I have an opening of 920mm I have a nice new hardwood door frame 934mm. I assume its...
7
7

Acoustic insulation of T&G boarded floor
I am about to board out a bedroom floor in a new extension with 7" T&G boards. It is over a living room and I want to cut noise transfer downwards as much as poss. Iv'e put 100mm Rockwool Flexi...
4
4

Central Heating Pumps
Hi I've just joined this usenet group. I would be very grateful if anybody could help me with my problem : My current central heating system has two pumps : SMC 3 Port Pump and an SMC 2 Port Pump, the...
1
1

Fitting Ikea Kitchen
I'm just about to order a kitchen from Ikea. A few people have recommended that I should buy oversize worktops (deeper) and then leave gap at the back of carcass for plumbing etc. Has anybody done...
4
4

Favourite Tool?
Do you have one? Mine would be my Makita 250mm mitre saw. It is my most used gadget. Least used is a Skil circular saw which I thought was a 'must have' piece of kit when I bought it but I've hardly...
3
3

Electric Oven Outlet Box?
Hello all, I need to connect a new electric oven to an electrical outlet. I already have the 45A cooker control switch, but this usually feeds the load (oven) below the kitchen worktop. At the moment...
6
6