Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Timed light switching query
Hi all, I installed a remote controlled automatic sliding gate last year which has a 240v output feed for a courtesy light which is latched on for approx 15 minutes after operation of the gate, either...
9
9

combi oil boiler
My son wishes to instal a combi aoil fired boiler in his conservatory; the electrical supply and necessary plumbing pipes are in place. There are a few questions:- 1 Can he instal this himself, he is...

insulating then boarding an attic - is it worth increasing joist depth first?
Looking to board my attic for storage; it has some scrappy Rockwool and joists are 4"x2". I was wondering whether to plant 2"x2" timbers on joists to allow for greater depth of Rockwool, or maybe the...
10
10

reclaimed timber
Daniel Hill Tiger Enterprise ltd 23 Clifton Rd Newhaven BN9 0BA does any body know where i can get hold of large oak beams. Dan http://www.reuseitdontloseit.co.uk

Supplier of pronged tee nut 5/16"
I'm trying to track down a couple of 5/16 BSW/UNC thread pronged tee nuts, but I can't find anyone who supplies imperial tee nuts anyone know where I might get these ? Thanks Tony
4
4

Moving Hot Water Cistern
I am considering moving the hot water cistern which is heated by immersion heater, oil fired boiler or Raeburn multi fuel fire with back boiler, situated adjacent to the cistern cupboard in another...
2
2

Running an electric current through a garage door? (2023 Update)
No lectures about the rights and wrongs thank you, if I want a sermon on morality I'll go to alt.god. If anyone can offer some genuine advice about how to do it, my email address is valid. TIA.
24
24

Replacing dry lining socket boxes
I'm about to tile the walls in my kitchen. The walls are dry lined and I'm concerned about the tiles becoming loose as I've noticed that when plugs are pulled in and out of the sockets the...
5
5

Roof timer query
I have to get retrospective Building Control approval for a roof which has had its slates replaced by heavier tiles. I understand I need to fit an inverted 'A' frame which I want to do my self (to...
2
2

AAARRGGHH !!!! Timber Cladding In Kitchen
I have that awful pine cladding to my kitchen walls and ceiling, and its driving me nuts as to what to do about it. At first i thought of just cleaning it thoroughly and painting it. would this look...
5
5

hammer drills
I have a metabo hammer drill 600watt. I have a lot of work to do drilling through house bricks(not mortar). I find the drilling very slow. Can anyone offer any advise on this matter barry
5
5

silicone injection to walls
i'm in a lower ground/basement flat & we were flooded back in July, we've had the plaster & sand/cement off the walls up to 1.2m high & the dehumidifiers & fan blowers have been going at it for nearly...
1
1

Water damage to chimney stack.
This isn't exactly a diy question, although it might be in the future. I have discovered that the chimney breast in the loft area of my house is totally saturated with water. There's fungus on the...
5
5

Wireless security alarm
I am considering installing a wireless security alarm in a bungalow.I have been warned that they can be difficult to initialise. Does anybody have experience of setting up one of these systems? Any...
3
3

Would This Be OK?
I have been asked by my children's school to make a frame to contain soil/compost type material for planting bulbs in. It is quite a large triangular area and I was thinking of making it from decking...
8
8