Chrome plated pipe and compression fittings

Hi All,

I tackle a bit of plumbing occasionally and normally use solder fittings, but recently had to do some work which required chrome pipe and chrome compression fittings for an electric shower. Also not allowed to use Boss White near the shower. Normally I don't have many problems with standard pipe and fittings but this was a hell of job getting a seal. Even had the pipe slip out of one fitting because the chrome was so slippery.

In the end I got a seal by using some spare 15mm olives that were more substantial that the ones in the cheap fittings from screwfix, also roughed up the chrome that was inside the fitting, and yes, bugger it, I used a bit of Boss!!!

I would love to know if there are any tips for working with chrome fittings that will help if I ever tackle similar work again?

Cheers. Bill.

Reply to
Bill

Is it chrome, or stainless? My shower had stainless pipe which was thin walled, and when I used one of those push-on fittings with teeth inside which grip the pipe, it wouldn't hold. I replaced it with copper, I didn't want the leak in the loft above our bed where the join was.

And I use PTFE tape to seal compression fittings, they often don't seal when it's got the torque I consider correct.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

What is this about Boss White? Why can't it be used near a shower? Are we in some pratt-like health and safety issue?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I think I've seen references to it discolouring plastic, so it might just be a cosmetic issue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I believe it also weakens/ embrittles plastic, at least the binding agent in it does and as the water control valves in the showers frequently have plastic components - taboo as far as the manufacturers are concerned. Having said that I have a couple of plastic header tanks with the tank connectors sealed with boss white 30 years ago and they're still holding water, but they aren't under pressure and it's a different type of plastic!

Reply to
Rambelt

================================== It might be because it could possibly clog the fine plastic filter(s) if present.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You sure the pipe was 15mm and not old half inch? I've used chrome on showers and never had any problems. The only time I have had that problem was on old half inch pipe where I couldn't get the right olives.

A smear of silicon gasket seal *behind* the olive was a successful bodge on a cistern inlet.

Reply to
Alang

Definately Chrome from Wickes!

Reply to
Bill

I have assumed that it is because it will clog up the heat exchanger or something!

Reply to
Bill

It was definitely 15mm chrome pipe - from Wickes.

Reply to
Bill

These fittings are supposedly made to close tolerances. Just possible you got two extremes but it would be something I've not come across in plumbing fittings.

Unless it's all being made in China nowadays.

Reply to
Alang

Well it seems that unless you buy Conex, that fitting are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, and the fittings are definitely not as deep and the olives not as substantial as they used to be. I guess that if I buy cheap stuff I have to take my chances. Normally things are fine with copper, but with Chrome plated copper, definitely go for quality fittings!!!

That's my summary anyway.

Cheers. Bill.

Reply to
Bill