3 Sided Bay Window - Pic attached to help explain!!

I've decided to get someone in to replace the existing aluminium bay windows. I thought I'd just give the render a lick of pain to freshen it up before the new windows go in. When I started to sand the wood which is located on the bottom of the bell (please see picture -
http://www.keme.net/~sims/rottenbay.jpg ) the wood just fell apart because it is so rotten. Is this a structural part of the bay window or is it a drip bead which can be taken out independently of the window and everything?
Your help will be greatly appreciated. Adrian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.