90 amps for electric car charge!

The income tax isn't outrageous, and property tax here is cheap. They do have a real PITA sales tax, though (8%, 10% in Montgomery, but who would spend money there?).

Reply to
krw

flororida heavily taxes tourists to help keep residents taxes lower

thins like a 23% room tax.

Reply to
hallerb

Sales tax is 6% right now. It keeps changing. My property taxes are about $700 per year. They went up quite a bit over the last 10 years, even with the so called 'Homestead Exemption' and '$5,000 'Disability Exemption' The actual property taxes are low, but they add a lot of fees which adds over $400 to the annual bill.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We had to do something so they didn't stay so long. :) Still, they get off cheap when compared to what the residents have to pay.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think the idea that FL heavily taxes tourists because they don't have a state income tax is bogus. The hotel room tax in Miami or Orlando is 2.5%. For those of us that travel, that rate isn't out of line with rates that you can find in other major tourist destinations in other states that have income taxes.

Reply to
trader4

My taxes are $1500, with no "fees" other than services (electric, garbage, water) for a 2600sq.ft. 3-1/2 bath new house. The taxes here do include a 50% homestead exemption so they do try to rape those with second homes.

Reply to
krw

2.5% is *low*. Many places it's 10% or more.
Reply to
krw

Don't forget the taxes on airports, bus or train tickets or port fees on cruise ships. If you listen to some of the tourists, Florida is the most expensive place to vacation.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can you remember the exact details of everything that happened to you years ago?

Reply to
Bob F

I don't "repeat" lies.

Reply to
krw

That glosses over a very important issue. Organic carbon is taken from the atmosphere in the form of CO2 converted by plants into sugars, cellulose, etc. The key fact is that it's CO2. Convert it to methane, and it becomes 20 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than when it was CO2.

Reply to
Hope for the Heartless

Which shows once again that at least some of those that claim to know so much about global warming have the basic facts wrong. Methane is about 3X effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2. That's a long way from 20X.

trader4

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Later on in this listing, it states that since 1750, CH4 has almost doubled, CO2 has gone up 25%. Therefore, while still a minor fraction (and likely to remain so) CH4 is still a gas whose releases probably should be controlled. Since the use of natural gas will increase out of proportion to other energy sources and that of animal husbandry too, let's try at least.

Reply to
Han

1) CO2 is given in PPM 2) CH4 is given in PPB 3) Thermal conductivity is relative to concentration. 4) At higher concentrations CH4 can be 70 times as conductive 5) CO2 is a crappy forcing agent. 6) CO2 is at an excessivly low concentration, regardless, and used to be at levels many times current. 7) AGW is a fraud. Always has been, always will be.
Reply to
[SMF]

I'll see your wiki article...

table of Global Warming Potentials)

And raise you two EPA citations...

in 1 metric ton of methane and the results are 19.1 ton of CO2)

table to the right of the definition of Global Warming Potential.

Followed by a chapter of IPCC paper...

pg 212 for Table 2.14 for Global Warming Potential of methane)

Your citation only shows the radiative forcing due to the current levels of each gas, not the GWP.

The marginal increase in RF from a unit mass (not molar) release of methane versus CO2 is closer to the 20x number than you thought.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I agree. I misinterpreted the page I looked at. It appears the same amount of methane is about 20X the greenhouse effect of CO2. Which means even if you just burned off methane escaping from a dump you'd be substantially reducing the impact.

Reply to
trader4

NO lie!

I just got a callback from a chief inspector at Seattle City Light. He quoted me the part of the Seattle City Code that requires notification of load additions. It is the law here. He also said, he didn't personally know who you would notify. Generally, he said, they find out when service entrance updates are done, since they hook up the power. But, by law, you are supposed to notify the utility, and if you don't, you are responsible for repairs, if for instance, the transformer blows.

Reply to
Bob F

Seattle rates are similar to Puget sound Energy which services surrounding areas.

Seattle 1st 300 kwh/mo $.0439 Additional $.0914

PSE 1st 600 kwh/mo $.084 Additional $.102

Reply to
Bob F