your thoughts on metric

Page 7 of 11
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On ours, notification within two days of loss limits liability of loss to $50. Only after 60 days does it become unlimited.
Whether that is part of revised law or simply a particular card-issuer policy, I couldn't say, but it was something I checked carefully before taking it.
I rarely use it, however, preferring the float of the c-c instead.
"dpb" wrote in message

Federal law is your above, plus ... providing notification is made _before_ the debit card is fraudulently used, there is zero liability.
My youngest daughter has a real DEBIT card issued by a bank and tied to Visa's international network, but with no bank account that backs up the card.
It is funded solely by my funds transfers, which can be made with a credit/debit card, online or by phone, and which are real time INSTANTANEOUS (when she was in Europe I was able to keep her funded to _my_ comfort level, instantaneously, and without her having to carry more cash than necessary on her person ... same when attending an urban cesspool high school, or doing any traveling)
She has had it since jr high, and she's now a senior in college.
She momentarily lost it last semester, called me within a few minutes of realizing the loss, and I logged on and "suspended" the card within minutes of her losing it ... I could have done the same by phone.
I also notified the issuing bank on their 24 hour service just to be safe ... their response was that their records indicated it was "suspended" and could not be used, but thanks for the call anyway.
It was found and returned to her the next morning ...it took all of 30 seconds for me to logon and "unsuspend" the card, no further calls were necessary.
It has proven to be one of the handiest, most convenient, safest ways of insuring that she always has funds for whatever arises, from text books to emergency cash, 24/7, no matter what country she's in, and as long as she can get to a Visa merchant/ATM ... they're indeed everywhere.
For the better part of nine years it has been a source of convenience and monetary peace of mind for me on her behalf ... I would NOT want her to "leave home without it".
IIRC, Edwin might have done the same thing for his daughter at one point.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Damn, that sounds good.
Any chance that you adopt me and give me one of these loving father debit cards?
<silly grin>
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

You're a bit behind times, Lew ... there are Federal laws now in effect protecting the consumer for debit transactions.

Only if you wait 60 days after the fact before reporting a "problem" ... a highly unlikely circumstance for one, like me, who does all his banking online and checks balances daily, or more often.

In my case, it not a credit card company that issued my bank check card, it's my bank.
Repayment takes the same amount of time as if someone had stolen/fraudulently cashed a check ...with the same proviso that they are notified in a timely manner.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
Swingman wrote:

Consumer Reports.org September, 2007 article states:
"Under federal law, your liability for fraudulent charges on a debit card can be greater than it is for a credit card. With a credit card, you're only responsible for up to $50 in unauthorized purchases. But with a debit card, you can lose up to $500 if you don't report the theft or loss of your card or PIN within two business days of discovering the problem. And if you fail to report the unauthorized charges within 60 days of the date of the statement that lists them, you could be held liable for any unauthorized withdrawals after that date. Those include the full value of credit lines and funds in savings linked to your checking account for overdraft protection."
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/credit-loan/debit-cards/the-dark-secrets-of-debit-9-07/overview/the-dark-secrets-of-debit-ov.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
on 10/12/2007 8:35 PM Nova said the following:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/credit-loan/debit-cards/the-dark-secrets-of-debit-9-07/overview/the-dark-secrets-of-debit-ov.htm

My bank policy is a little different
"We will reimburse you for funds transferred from your accounts up to the amount of your loss when you notify the bank within 60 days of the transaction first appearing on your statement."
They also send me an email whenever a Debit card or check purchase exceeds an amount that I have set in my account on their website (Minimum $100).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

More "if's" in that article than Carter had pills ...
All their points are moot if you only transfer from an interest bearing account, as needed, what you are willing to lose in the rare instance "shit happens", into an account accessible with a check/debit card.
You gotta pity the poor bastards who can't figure out how to make an out and out convenience work for them, free of charge ... then again, many folks today can't be trusted to use a butter knife responsibly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
"Swingman" > "Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Anything from the feds that happens on Bush's watch is at best looked at with a jaundiced eye.
Having had my share of exchanges with the banking industry, stick wiith a credit card any pay if off as perscribed.
At my age, it works for me.
Lew
Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 1:07pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (LewHodgett) doth sayeth: <snip> As I said, just another way for the credit card company to screw you.
What's scary is, somehow it seems to make sense.
J T wrote:

If it were correct, that is...see other postings on current law...

Wrong view. Debit cards replace checks, not credit cards.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Most of your statement is completely wrong.
Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 11:02am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (LewHodgett) doth sayeth: Debit cards, the biggest screw job foisted on the public by the credit card industry yet. The day in hell has not yet gotten cold enough for me to have a debit card.
Not the way I see it. Granted I pay a small monthly charge for using a debit card. But I can go to an ATM machine and check just how much I've got in my account. If I don't have enough in my account to buy something, I don't get it then. Pretty simple, and keeps me from geting things I don't really need. I like my debit card.
Credit card now, another matter. With one of those, I can go into a store flat broke, and run up a $2-3000 debt in minutes. And pay heavy interest if I don't pay it all off when the bill comes in. I was getting hurt on credit card interest. Got a quick bank loan, paid 'em all off, and the bank took a fraction of the interest to do it for me. I DO still have a credit card. For emergency use only. And I haven't had an emergency big enough yet to even dream about using it. It'd basically have to be a life and death emergency before I'll even consider using a credit card again. I can go to my bank and get a $2500 signature loan, pay very low interest, and even have them make automatic payments - so why even consider a HD or Lowes credit card if I wanted to buy new tools, or whatever? Debit card, yes; credit card, no.
Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 12:05pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: LOL ... The tab is $1.96 ... you give the clerk two dollar bills and a penny, and they look at you like "What the hell do I do now?" <snip>
Yep, I do that once in awhile too. But, more often I just give them bills. Not to keep from confusing them. To save. I don't spend coin change while I'm out, just keep it. Some days I come back with maybe 30 cents in change, some days several dollars worth. When I get home, put in plastic coin counter tubes. Tip, don't buy paper coin rolls, my bank gives them for free. Plastic tubes full, roll coins, turn in periodically. I've turned in as much as $75 a month doing this. Painless way to save.
Got two-three dollars too much change one time. Told the girl she'd made a mistake. Snotty reply "she" doesn't make mistakes. Tried twice more, same. So drove off with the extra, with no regret.
Robatoy wrote:
... snip

On a business trip a couple of weeks ago, we finished our meeting early and got to spend some time touring a local attraction. One of the younger guys in the group pointed to one of the exhibits and asked, "how many meters high to you think that is?" My answer was, "I don't know, but in real people units, it looks to be about 120 feet or so" (turned out to be 117 feet) when we found the appropriate plaque.
As others have said, the imperial system is geared more toward human dimensions. A foot is pretty close to an average person's foot length, a yard one step of one's stride, and the human body can pretty well sense 1 degree F temperature changes (are thermostats controlled by 1/2 degree C increments on digital thermostats?). One of the early criticisms levied by the metric crowd was the ridiculous units used as bases of measure in imperial (3 barleycorns to an inch). The metric system was no more rational for its basis measure; the meter being based upon the division such that 1000 km reached from equator to North Pole. It was later discovered that the original computation was incorrect. The meter is now defined as a certain number of Krypton wavelengths of light -- but that is not a whole number, nor divisible by 10.

I changed to metric shortly after I had to start running a press at work that was metric. No big changes other than finding mesuring tapes that fit my needs. Puff

"Lee" wrote in message

crap
Have no fear ... Big Al just hasn't got around to making a documentary about it yet. His next project, the "Inconvenient Inch", is in the works.
It will stop global warming in its tracks by making the "feels like" numbers smaller for the idiocracy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

I'm not going near the topic of Big Al with a 3.048 metre pole.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

about
How many hanging chads is that?
--