your thoughts on metric

Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 1:07pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew=A0Hodgett) doth sayeth: As I said, just another way for the credit card company to screw you.

What's scary is, somehow it seems to make sense.

J T

How are you going to handle changing out a passage door? ;-)

Reply to
Nova

If it were correct, that is...see other postings on current law...

--

Reply to
dpb

Consumer Reports.org September, 2007 article states:

"Under federal law, your liability for fraudulent charges on a debit card can be greater than it is for a credit card. With a credit card, you're only responsible for up to $50 in unauthorized purchases. But with a debit card, you can lose up to $500 if you don't report the theft or loss of your card or PIN within two business days of discovering the problem. And if you fail to report the unauthorized charges within 60 days of the date of the statement that lists them, you could be held liable for any unauthorized withdrawals after that date. Those include the full value of credit lines and funds in savings linked to your checking account for overdraft protection."

Nova

With the crew I've been working with the last few days "Ticks" seems to work best. ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Anything from the feds that happens on Bush's watch is at best looked at with a jaundiced eye.

Having had my share of exchanges with the banking industry, stick wiith a credit card any pay if off as perscribed.

At my age, it works for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Wrong view. Debit cards replace checks, not credit cards.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

So will 4 liters That is the same as what you get in two of those big

67.6 ounce soda bottles. :)
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your dad sounds like an interesting guy that would be fun to talk with over a cold one.

You bring up a very good point about the measuring system. Industrial revolution and interchangeable parts. They have made the US one of the most productive countries in the world. What many people fail to notice though, is that other countries have been taking over much of that manufacturing and we are being left out. They don't always want our products because they are not interchangeable, just as you'd have a difficult time getting your Saab repaired back in 1960.

It is not that one system is superior to the other, but it simplifies life if we all work towards the same goals. If my company insisted on buying only machines made with Imperial measure, we'd be out of business as no more machines are made in the US for our industry. Using metric, other countries have put rockets in space, built nuclear reactors, race cars, fine watches and heavy machinery. The standard of the photo industry was the 35 mm camera, the 8mm and 16mm movie cameras.

Those here that vocalize the superiority of the Imperial system have been using metrics all of their life, but are just afraid to admit it. I'd venture to say that many have not visited other countries to see how they do survive.

All of that said, I'm going to pour me a couple of ounces of adult sipping beverage from the 750 ml bottle.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wouldn't that be 3.8 l? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Since you don't know of them they don't exist? I know of two companies that have not had success in Europe because they don't want to change to metric. One no longer tries, the other is going to make the change. It may be a strawman argument today because the auto industry finally figured out it would be wise to change. They are still fighting right hand drive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Could be, but you said "about" leaving room for either to do that 32.5 square meters.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... snip

On a business trip a couple of weeks ago, we finished our meeting early and got to spend some time touring a local attraction. One of the younger guys in the group pointed to one of the exhibits and asked, "how many meters high to you think that is?" My answer was, "I don't know, but in real people units, it looks to be about 120 feet or so" (turned out to be

117 feet) when we found the appropriate plaque.

As others have said, the imperial system is geared more toward human dimensions. A foot is pretty close to an average person's foot length, a yard one step of one's stride, and the human body can pretty well sense 1 degree F temperature changes (are thermostats controlled by 1/2 degree C increments on digital thermostats?). One of the early criticisms levied by the metric crowd was the ridiculous units used as bases of measure in imperial (3 barleycorns to an inch). The metric system was no more rational for its basis measure; the meter being based upon the division such that 1000 km reached from equator to North Pole. It was later discovered that the original computation was incorrect. The meter is now defined as a certain number of Krypton wavelengths of light -- but that is not a whole number, nor divisible by 10.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, it has been a couple of years since rec.ww has had a metric thread. Used to be one of these every couple of months. As you can see, it can generate a few comments. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You deal with WHAT???? Barry - we've got to talk...

Go to the automotive paint supply store and get yourself a set of paint sticks. They will be calibrated on both sides for different ratios of mix. Two sticks should cover all you will ever need. Need a 4:1:1 mix? Forget about ounces. Pour the components in to the measurements on the sticks. Wipe 'em off with solvent and put them away for the next job. It should not take you any longer to pour mixtures to the proper ratios than to simply pour the component parts. You're doing way too much math.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I question this oft quoted yet misapplied analogy. If you grab a 10mm socket and it's too small what do you do? You try to figure out if it's one size, two sizes or whatever, too small. You don't really care about 11 or

12 or 22 for that matter. Same with fractional measurements. If 1/2 does not fit, then is it one or two or 5 sizes off? The number written on the wrench is totally meaningless. In fact, you can intemix your metric and your ASE sockets with equal results in attempting to find the right "bigger" socket. It has nothing at all to do with the numbering scheme and the numbering scheme has nothing at all to do with ease of use or anything else except foolish attempts at bragging rights for a "superior" system. Rubbish.

Preach it brotha!

What? Blasphemy! Woodworkers the world over work hard to learn these fractions to sound knowledgeable. And you want to reduce this secret language to the level of the common layman? Balderdash!

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Getting a Festool DOMINO forced me into metric. Thinking in metric took a while - 25.4 mm/inch a became one of those numbers to add to my instant recall list - which includes much harder to remember 7 and 10 digit phone numbers, PIN numbers, drivers license number, license plate numbers etc. No big deal.

After a while I thought and calculated in metric when using the DOMINO. And calculating mainly in integers is a LOT easier than with mixed fractions. The DOMINO cuts mortises for loose/floating tenon joinery. When you're playing with mortise and tenons joinery, lets say for a table apron to leg joint, you want "outside faces" either flush or "set back" some specific distance. Working out where the center of the mortise in the leg should be, and where the center of the tenon, or the center of the mortise, in the end of the apron should be - in order to get the outside face flush, or set back a desired distance - can be "challenging if you use "imperial". MUCH easier using metric. Here's a link to a page that shows what I'm trying to describe.

you do ply "case work", there are several metric systems - and tools

- to make producing parts quickly, accurately and efficiently. The "32 mm System" has been around for quite a while - for a reason.

If you do solid wood furniture, and mill your own stock you don't need imperial or metric. If you need something to be "this tall" - you mark a stick for "this tall" and cut the needed parts "that long". If you need something to fit "between here and there" you use slip sticks to get "this wide" or "this long" and cut your parts "this wide" and "this long". No numbers at all required. And it's easy to find the centerline of a board. All that colonial furniture was done without measuring tapes or rulers, divided into 32nds or 64ths.

I'm still using imperial, but the DOMINO is changing that.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Thanks! I actually was planning a trip to check out 3M PPS cups. I'll look for the cups, too.

**
**

B A R R Y

That's a given. You do have to cater to the client. My point was, if perhaps not well stated, that if you're going for a market for which it is important, you will have made the change as part of that effort -- if you try the other way, you're not very serious. Ergo, those that have serious intents have made the change. I think in large part, that's true, whether there happen to be a few holdouts or not. That's a different subject imo than whether it should be universal for common usage.

While I'll agree that _eventually_ it might become common in the US, I don't foresee the shift from driving on the right in NA ever changing.

Reply to
dpb

I meant STICKS!

**