Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Reply to
Red Green

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were

11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere inbetween.

Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of socket depths and drive sizes.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

$ R
Reply to
RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w30g2000prj.googlegroups.com:

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

Does it not depend on market demand? If size 9 mm. nuts were common we should expect 9 mm. wrenches to be proportionately common.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile, so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets With the missing MM having the same size in SAE

5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches 5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315=20 and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.=20 but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud

Reply to
spud42

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30 The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only

7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.

Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"

Reply to
clare

Maybe he got it on sale. They bumped up the 9mm to 10mm at no extra charge!

RicodJour

Ummm, wouldn't that be the exact reason that you'd want a particular size wrench? Nothing else fits!

RicodJour

15mm is used on bicycle wheels, never in metric sets. You have to go buy it separately like many others.

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Reply to
LSMFT

The only ones screwing the customer would be those supplying a 9mm wrench in a kit, as NO 9mm nuts or bolt heads exist in any of the 3 (or 4 - 2 are the same ) metric standards.

In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either., while JIS and DIN use both. ISO/ANSI do not use 11MM either, while JIS does not use 11 or 18 0r

21.DIN doesn't use 21 either - and NOBODY uses 20 or 23, or 25.

As for standard vs metric, 8mm fits 5/16 reasonably close, 11mm fits

7/16", 13mm fits 1/2" 14mm fits 9/16, and 17mm fits 11/16

Not perfectly, but close enough if the fastener is not too tight and you are in a pinch.

Reply to
clare

3/8" and 10mm are not close enough to be useable. 11mm and 716" are.
Reply to
clare

LSMFT wrote in news:490Bo.16417$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

Yea, my ex.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:k739d6l649m6n61t2jkidgg0otqgvn71ec@

4ax.com:

I've seen other sets that include the 9 and are missing another, possibly for the same reason.

Which is exactly how this fella puts it.

Red Green

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o11g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

There was a farmer who had a dog, And Bingo was his name-O. B-I-N-G-O! B- I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! ...

Reply to
Red Green

I don't know what reference library fantasyland YOU are living in, but having used metric sized wrench sets professionally for about 35 yrs, I can certainly attest to the fact that 9, 12, and 17mm fasterners do indeed exist and are found on real actual mechanical devices requiring said wrench sizes.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I didn't get a 11mm=20

10mm is the one i always lose and your right 3/8 isn't close enough
Reply to
spud42

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo. The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Reply to
WW

I have 15mm wrenches in several of my sets. And yess, LOTS of nuts that are not SAE or Metric. Think BSF, Whitworth, and Acme to start. But when you are talking METRIC, they are, except for a very few specialty apps, either ANSI/ISO, DIN, or JIS.

And the 15mm nuts on a bike - same size wrench required for the pedals.

Reply to
clare