metric v modular building block sizes?

Metric sized building blocks (commonly 440 x 100 x 215mm) have been around since metric sizes arrived in the 70s.

What is the application for 'modular sizes' (eg 390 x 100 x 190 - even

390 x 90 x 190)?

eg

a new standard being introduced? Most block manufacturers websites show this size in addition to the metric ones.

Also, especially, why 90mm? Anything less than 100mm in a wall leaf is usually frowned on.

I inadvertently bought some grr...grrr...

Anyone know?

TIA for any info

Reply to
jim

> Is a new standard being introduced? Most block manufacturers websites

Maybe it's 'effin safely' standard 18" x 9" x 4" dense concrete blocks might be too heavy for brickies .... I humped cwt bags of cement about on summer holidays when working for Building companies ... now it's considered too heavy to lift and 25Kg baby bags are the norm.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

>>> Is a new standard being introduced? Most block manufacturers websites

Probably needed doing. My Brother used to carry 200lb sacks of beans, throw hay bales up 6 layers etc. when working on a farm. When he worked in removals, he lifted a heavy, 3/4-seater settee by one end to give it to the

2 blokes at the top of some steps. He now suffers from arthritis and investigation has shown that most of his joints are worn out. I'm 3 years older and have no arthritis - the advantage of light mechanical and chemical work.
Reply to
PeterC

Its to create spacing of 400mm and 200mm, supposedly reduces cutting, presumably when its all blocks and no bricks. Also, as others pointed out, reduced weight. I bought some standard sized blocks, and noticed they were all about

95mm. Was quite obvious when laying in with some bricks, 102.5mm. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Max parcel weight is 35Kg on most things.

We are a nation of wusses these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1cwt used to be such a standard load ......... 25kg ? .... I blame the EEC, never would have happened when the Atlas was pink.
Reply to
Rick Hughes