peculiar fuse sizes in fuse block

Hi. I have 100amp service to my home, entering the main old(er) fuse panel to a 100AMP fuse block, then splitting 3ways: one set of wires to a separate new(er) panel (with about 20 circuit breakers for the various parts of the house), and to two fuse blocks on the same old main panel (one for electric range, and one for clothes dryer).

I checked the clothes dryer fuse block. It has 2-30amp cartridge fuses which go to a #10AWG wire to the dryer.

I checked the electric range fuse block. It has 1-60amp cartridge fuse, and 1-45amp cartridge fuse. As best I can tell, it looks like they go to a #8AWG wire to the electric range.

I'm wondering if maybe the previous home owner mixed-and-matched because that's what he had available.

What rating should the range fuses be? Advice appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

Normally a stove is rated at 40 amp with a #8 wire.

Reply to
EXT

The 60 is wrong, the 45 is probably wrong too. If this house has a split bus 100a panel it was probably wired with TW 60c wire. Put 40s in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

I agree completely. 40 max on TW 60c wire. 40 is really all an electric stove needs anyway.

Reply to
Colbyt