Fed up with catarrh (OT)

Loads of people I know seem to be suffering from annoying cough caused by catarrh in back of throat. Can't take decongestants due to blood pressure treatment. An Olbas Oil seems to be the best I can use. Anyone else afflicted. Any solutions?. No runny nose - just bad cough caused by catarrh (salty) u throuat that needs coughing up.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I wonder if an ultrasonic atomiser would help? Water plus an oil of your choice (Olbas works, and you can add any other essential oil you like).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fisherman's Friend

Chris Hogg

The short term nuclear option is fisherman's friend. To keep it away, liquorice & thyme work wonders. About 16 soft liquorice sweets a day and a pinch of thyme in tea 3 or 4 times.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its a plot to get us all to die younger to help the rich get their pensions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Covonia?

Alkaline Water

(Maybe snake oil. Try a search.)

Reply to
WeeBob

2 things:

1) Nasal lavage -

plus the correct salts (this being uk.d-i-y you should be able to blend your own :)) . Once daily for a few days. You will be amazed at the crud it flushes out.

2) Friars balsalm in a bowl of hot water. Towel over head. Inhale deeply. Rinse and repeat.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

That explains the daily maul. Designed to worry some to their death...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Chop a white onion, cover in brown sugar, and sip the liquid that collects at the bottom. Add snake oil to taste. Back in the day I used to put chopped onion in my socks, the theory being that it gets absorbed quicker through the soles of the feet.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Possibly. Liquorice may not be good for anyone with blood pressure issues. See eg

Robin

Best approach to sore throats I've ever found.

Indeed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I had that (along with a lot of other reactions) after taking wrongly prescribed blood pressure tablets. Check if it is listed amoung the side effects of the medication you are taking and then go back to your doctor.

eg The most common one that can cause the sort of problems you have are ACE inhibitors (not the medication I had): "The most common side effect is a persistent dry cough. If side effects become particularly troublesome, a medication that works in a similar way to ACE inhibitors, known as an angiotensin-2 receptor antagonist (ARB), may be recommended". see the NHS site:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

My Gran always reckoned that a strong dose of Ex-lax stopped anyone coughing, on the basis that they would be frightened to cough!

Reply to
stvlcnc43

ITYM "the young". To younger folk *we* are the rich ... and we're living longer and longer and longer, sucking up *their* state pension pot! [1]

J.

[1] That's how they view it. Personally I feel that I carefully earned, and paid into, my own pensions (employer's, and state).
Reply to
Another John

Fixed your post for you. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

My old Doc, not someone for issuing a scrip if there was a simpler solution was very much of the opinion of the cereal plate of boiling water and towel over the head and breath the steam. Add couple of drops of olbas oil for nuclear effect.

It`s not instant but pereverance pays off.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Had it over a year now ever since they put me on blood pressure meds. So far I haven't tracked it down

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used to suffer with sinus problems which went when I changed buildings at work but prior to that, even an ENT Consultant was a bit baffled.

I found Friars Balsam in Steam did wonders. Almost instant relief. Have a lot of tissues to hand. Once I changed offices, the problem went was quickly as it appeared. I later realised it had been slightly better after a day or so away from the old office, holiday or business, so I assume it was something to do with the air conditioning etc.

As I don't normally suffer from hay fever etc. I've always assumed I was allergy free, at least for that kind of thing. It seems perhaps I'm not. The only time I've had something like hay fever was in Asia, I assume some odd pollen from the scrub in the area.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'm on Doxazosin and that gives me a dry cough.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which meds specifically ?

So