Woke up this morning and the house was freezing, furnace doesn't seem to be working, what next?

When I woke up this morning the house was very cold, I checked thermostat to make sure it was still on, and it still displayed the heat as being on, with temperature set at 68 degrees. However, it was showing a house temperature of 59 degrees. I tried playing with temperature, nothing changed, didn't hear furnace kicking in.

I checked furnace and didn't notice anything obvious, however don't know much about furnaces. I was late for work so didn't have a lot of time, but quickly opened furnace door didn't see pilot light anywhere so just put door back on and had to leave for work. The switch on wall by furnace was still turned on as well.

Do I need to call a technician or is there something simple it could likely be? The house was just built two years ago, so furnace is only two years old. Here is the model numbers listed on the booklets that were on the furnace.

Carrier Model 58MCB

There's another book with a different model number

Carrier Model 24ABB3 / 24ABC6.

It's a gas furnace.

Any suggestions on what I could do to avoid a technician fee?

Thanks

Reply to
Anonymous

Call a HVAC company to check this.

Reply to
stanhvac1

Perhaps you might want to start with simply cycling the power to the furnace - most have a local power switch, some may require you to turn off at the breaker panel. The  controller of a gas furnace like yours may disable its further attempts to ignite if one or two previous attempts have failed. I have seen resetting the controller (power OFF - wait 10 seconds - power ON) clear the ignition block although I have to say you will eventually need to find the reason it didn't work in the first place - you will probably have a couple more of those failed ignition attempts in a heating season.

Reply to
homeowners

You can cycle the power to the furnace off and back on to see if it resets, However if it does it was locked out for a safety issue. You stated you do not know much about a furnace so you should call someone who does. Paying a technican to check it out  verses blowing your house up or causing personal injury is worth the price. There is no pilot light in the newer furnaces. They work on electronic ignition and the pilot fires on a call for heat. You stated that the thermostat was calling for heat so the problem is in the furnace. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
stanhvac1