64 Bit Anyone?

In the market for a new machine. Any recommendations to go or not to go 64 bit? I'm thinking dual Opteron's. System would be about $4K fully decked out.

3D Peruna

same answer as applies to the "mac or pc?" people...

What software do you plan to run?

Reply to
gruhn

I'm stuck in AutoCAD hell (of my own choosing, sort of. When you work with outside consultants, it makes it difficult to choose what you use and I've been through the file translation hell too many times to want to go there again).

We've got latest version of ADT. 3DS Max, Sketchup, Adobe suite, Dreamweaver MX, etc... Seriously looking at Revit for our residential projects.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Fair enough list. What will 64bit gain you with those apps?

Reply to
gruhn

64-bit-hood is just a marketing prank to shame Intel. The AMD64 platform's performance really comes from other stuff that works just as great with either 32 or 64 bit modes, such as the on-die memory controller, which lets the CPU talk to the memory bloody fast.

Regular Windows will lock you into using the chip in 32 bit mode. However, when using 64-bit Windows, you unlock certian parts of the chip. Some require you to use 64 bit apps to use (like being able to chug large (64 bit) floating point numbers in one clock cycle instead of two). Other advantages, however, are gained simply because 64-bit Windows understands Opterons better, especially in Peruna's case (he mentions dualie CPUs; multiple Opterons don't talk to memory like other small-scale multi-CPU setups do- instead they use something called NUMA, previously seen on supercomputers and mainframes).

Also, Peruna- you mention going dual CPU. Are you aware that in either Q3 or Q4 of this year, AMD will be releasing dual core CPUs? In otherwords, one chip with two full-blown CPUs on them.

Reply to
Matthew Erickson
3D Peruna"
Reply to
Olivier Hess

I can't see a useful reason beyond helping people gamma test. Get a nice dual 3.x. Spend the rest of your money on RAMs and call it a day. AutoCAD runs just fine on a P3-800. The way you say you have these other things feels like you aren't up to your eyeballs in them and need the extra juice.

Reply to
gruhn

"Don" wrote in news:kqDke.6821$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

"'ADC' (AMD Based Dual-Core CPU) Systems"

HTH

Reply to
Kris Krieger