your thoughts on metric

Page 1 of 11
I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the crap measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).<G>
Lee wrote:
| Why shouldn't I go to what the | rest of the world uses? Metric.
No reason not to. If you do, then I'll join you as soon as I can by metric sized tools, bits, wood, etc at a better price than I can buy inch sizes...
ooops sorry Morris

Not looking at tools etc. Looking at replacing fractional US measurements "Morris Dovey" > No reason not to. If you do, then I'll join you as soon as I can by

Lee wrote:

So, do what you want. What are you measuring and why would it make any difference to anyone else but you?
Me, I'm same age, trained as engineer so mks are familiar in their place, but for day-to-day usage, British measurements are just what "comes naturally". For measuring in woodworking a 64th is more than adequate for virtually any and everything, a 32nd is usually good enough except for matching joints where to make things easy one generally uses a marking gauge and transfer marks, not actual physical measurements, anyway. For estimating, I _know_ what an inch is in terms of a length of particular finger joint, eight inches is a convenient spread, lots of practice lets me pace of a yard pretty doggone accurately, ... Any of those in even cgs units is something I'd have to start over at age 8 to have a hope of learning with such fluency. No point in it as far as I can see...
$0.02, ymmv, etc., of course, ...
--
> "Morris Dovey" > No reason not to. If you do, then I'll join you as soon as
> I can by

I grew up with metric. A 10cm x 10cm Cube of water weighs a kilo and is a litre as well. (At 4C) Then, after I graduated high school in The Netherlands, I came to Canada. Inches and feet and pounds and gallons..then baaaaack again to metric.
Now I buy my meat by the pound, my gas by the litre and my solid surface sheets 30 INCHES by 12 FEET. Half of a quarter is an eigth. 30+ degrees C is not hot, 90 F is hot. 2 pints of beer is not a lot, a litre is. A ton is as heavy as a tonne, as far as I am concerned, and the whole world should switch over to smidgens and tiches.
"Lee" wrote:

Time is on the side of metric.
40 years ago when the metric change was proposed, the investment in tooling, supplies, supporting infrastructure in the USA was tremendous.
Today a lot of that investment has become obsolete or consumed.
The change today would be easier, tomorrow easier yet.
Lew
on 10/11/2007 7:33 PM Lew Hodgett said the following:

Yes, and those companies that made tools, now could sell twice as many tools than if there was only one measurement. "A set of SAE wrenches and a set of Metric wrenches, please."

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.
I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes numbers hard for me anyway. I also have the disadvantage of going to school so that I finished here in Australia in 1972. This meant I was taught in imperial but those in the year behind me were taught in metric. So now I have both in my head arguing with each other.
On the whole though, with my particular disability metric is easier.
Mekon

Acually, for the most part, we don't. Most rifle and pistol calibers in the U.S. are measured in decimal inches, e.g. .22, .308, .243, .357, etc.
And we still use the old Imperial gauge sizes for shotguns. (The .410 being an exception, but that's decimal inches again.)
--
Regards,
On Oct 29, 10:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Come on, Doug. You know damn well that the only pistol worth having is a nine. And that you have to hold it sideways.
John Martin

<g> I *have* a nine. But I don't hold it sideways.
--
Regards,

Miller won't admit to such trivial weapons as the 105 mm and 20 mm canons, he just wants you to be wrong..

Some weaponry, but far from all, or even most. Think of all of the decimal calibers out there. Everything from .22 to .308 to .45 to .50.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote on 30/10/2007 :

I am just surprised there are any at all given the resistance I have seen here and elsewhere. It always reminds me of the debate between Mac and PC or some sort of religious conflict.
Mekon

Naw - not as complicated as that - more like 50 vs. 60 Hz, & which side of the road you drive on.... Just the practical aspects of having to overcome social inertia of two large worlds that grew up as part of different families....
Mekon wrote:

I think most of those calibers were imported from Europe. Most small arms are measured in decimal inches: 0.22-250, 0.22, .38, .357, .44, .45, .243, etc.

Mike Dobony wrote:

I just use Metrinch http://www.mitools.com/combination/0076.php being my current carry in the Land-Rover set!
I wrote a piece for an American engineering publication on the American companies loosing trade as a result of sticking with 'English' imperial and wierd American number threads, so being in England the advantage of metric interchangability and easy calc. isn't lost on me!
Somebody wrote:

Mine isn't, but maybe my mechanics is.
Lew