Way off topic

Page 1 of 2

I am asking here as I assume there are a lot of people like me who are retired and dependent on whether the market goes up or down; so keep an eye on what is going on.
Does any one know what the "Ukrainian Globalist" is that referenced frequently on finical pages like?
http://www.google.com/finance?cid ˜3582
I have Google it and only find its website, but nothing on where it comes from or who is behind it.
Thank you. But you are the only ones I could think to asked this question.
Add pictures here
✖

Retired and dependent on whether the market goes up or down...... bad stratagy or situation even under good economic times. If you cannot afford to loose money in the market you should have no money in the market. I kept telling my sister and her husband that 2 years ago....now they wish that they had gotten out.
Add pictures here
✖

Gotto know when to hold 'm, know when to fold 'm, know when to walk away..... wait... there's a song in there somewhere...
Add pictures here
✖

The story is that the song "The Gambler" was a common song among folks who worked bars, etc. It was a common song. But nobody recorded it. Kenny Rogers thought it was a good song and everybody kept telling him again and again that the song would flop. He insisted it was a good song and finally got it recorded. The rest is history. That song made his career.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:11:04 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

This seems to tell a slightly different story. His career took off long before '79/79, too. I saw him in concert in '72 or '73 and he wasn't a newb then.
http://www.search.com/reference/The_Gambler_%28song%29
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 17, 7:11 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Actually... I asked Mickey Newbury if that Patek Phillippe watch he was wearing was an antique or more contemporary. He told me that Kenny Rogers gave him that watch for writing Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In). It was a huge hit for Kenny's group The First Edition. (Jerry Lee Lewis had passed on that song) (Mike Post engineered it and Glen Campbell made those weird guitar sounds.)... but I digress...
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/17/2010 11:36 PM, Robatoy wrote:

"Growing up came quietly in the arms of Mabel Joy"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Whoa!!!!!!!!!
You got an inside track to the CBC???
Find out when CBC Radio will be bringing back the Mystery Project, please. Twist some arms if needed to speed up the return.
There are a lot of us out here who would love to hear some new episodes of Midnight Cab (my personal favorite), or any of the series,, heck, even new series. A terrific run of high quality shows.
Thanks, Roy, in balmy Houston
Add pictures here
✖

I had nothing to do with CBC Radio. I worked out of CBC TV Special Programming. Also, my last gig there was 1990 after a major overhaul of their spending methods left no room for contract people in lower ranks. All in all the CBC has created a plethora of quality programming over the years but now they are so politically correct that you don't stand a chance unless you're a lesbian from Nunuvit.... The place is a mere shadow of its former self and many Canadians are getting really tired of paying for it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/20/10 10:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Yep, for the past 20 years the only shows I have watched on CBC have been the Mercer Report, and their Olympic coverage, and they didn't even have that this year. Waste of taxpayer money IMHO.
--
Froz...

✖

I am sick of the 'in-your-face' LGBDS2xXLMADDOW crowd catering programming to us normal folk. Even their sports programming has gotten weird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86AJje3ElDc&feature=fvsr
<nomex>
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/17/2010 6:24 PM, Robatoy wrote:

If you have a 401k or are involved with a company provided pension you are involved in the stock market, whether you like it or not.
The only retirement plan that is not effected by the stock market directly is social security.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, you might want to do some research on that. Every 401k I have been in had both equities and fixed income options so if you didn't want to be in stocks you can just stay in the money market or other fixed instruments. Yes, the market is one of the factors that drives the base rates but it isn't volitile anything like the market.
Add pictures here
✖

You are not allowed to with draw your money and take a lump sum?
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

"Allowed", yes...smart, very definitely not. Under age 59-1/2 there's both the tax (federal and state if applicable as ordinary income assuming it's pretax dollars going in) plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty. There are a few ways to get around the penalty but they are relatively onerous conditions to meet.
All in all, treating them as retirement $$ as intended is the smart choice and in that case starting young and using cost-averaging long-term strategy historically has yielded good returns...
✖

...and like other investments, should be moved to more secure instrument mix as one nears retirement (when the money is needed).
Add pictures here
✖

Exactly.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

Again, one has to factor in one's own tolerance for risk and evaluate the real cost of inflation on an acceptable rate of return over the expected lifetime in order to come to a specific decision individually.
As noted earlier, in a case of good health w/ a reasonable expectation of a possibly quite long retirement time, too conservative an investment too early could lead to early depletion of funds as well as too risky. For that reason, as also noted earlier, I've made very little change in the investment allocation at all since retirement as I figure I've still got a 20+ year time frame to go, retired or no.
Everybody's situation is unique to at least some degree so while there are some basic truths in the generalities, the devil is in the details for each situation.
✖

Believe it or not, an excellent investment is in automatic weapons. An M2 Carbine can be had for as little as $2000 and appreciates in value from ten to twenty percent per year.
If you're REALLY concerned, another investment is ammunition...
Add pictures here
✖

Even a better investment is a donation to the DNC.
Add pictures here
✖