Are there really people this stupid?

I bought a used chop saw at a garage sale. The saw is great, but I had to laugh. On the deck, there is a picture of a hand, with a saw blade next to it, and a cut on the hand. Is this really necessary? Are there really people this stupid, that they dont know that a power saw can cut them? Or is this just something that insurance requires?

Almost as bad as the pictures of people falling off a ladder, stuck on a label on the ladder.

Of course these might be on these products for people who let their pets use their tools :)

Reply to
RealPerson

There are people that stupid and lawyers smart enough to sue for them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

+1

And plenty of stupid jurors to award the plaintiff a bazillion dollar settlement.

Reply to
Ed

Per snipped-for-privacy@none.com:

I saw stuff like that I used to think that something, somewhere happened that made such a warning advisable.

Now I am starting to think it's just lawyers doing their jobs... whatever they can think of goes on the warning list.

But I have also come to believe that, if there is such a thing as a National IQ, ours is somewhere around room temperature or below...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have 2 favorite law suits for stupid people, and the judges and jouries.

The first is the woman that got burnt by the hot coffee at the drive through because the coffee was too hot. The other is a person put one leg of an extention ladder in either a pile of frozen mud (might have been a frozen cow patty) . The thing unthaughed when the sun came up and the person fell with the ladder.

Neither of those should have even been allowed to take up the time of the court system, but they did and the people got a big ammont of cash.

Among the stupid people , I worked with a fellow that he and his wife bought a new car. They got all the way home and just as they were about to get out, his wife noticed that the interior of the car was brown . She said that she did not want a brown interior, so they then went back and traded it for another color.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sounds like you answered yer own question.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Per Ralph Mowery:

That one seems to have had more to it than what's on the surface.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Have you NEVER used a screwdriver as a chisel? (who could be that STUPID? A screwdriver isn't designed for that sort of use!)

Ever used a nice, knife-sharp wood chisel to cut metal/aluminum? (who could be that STUPID? What if a shard of metal flew off

*or* the brittle chisel tip shattered and a shard flew into your eye?)

Ever watch someone cut *towards* themselves? Or, hold something in one hand while "digging into it" with a tool held in the other hand (which you *know* will probably SLIP and end up in the other PALM)

Leave a loaded weapon around the house where a kid might get it? Forget to leave the safety *on*?

What about folks that pack firearms in their airplane luggage? Who could be *that* stupid?

[I was sitting at a gate many years ago waiting for a flight. The gate was the first on the concourse and close to the magnetometer that (at the time) was used to screen passengers (long before the bomb sniffers, shoe smellers, etc.).

I watched a guy walk up with a "pirate pistol" proudly tucked into his belt (as if he'd a parrot perched on his shoulder). The two state troopers who were stationed at the "checkpoint" quickly lifted him off his feet and *poof* he was gone!

Did he REALLY think folks were going to say, "Wow! What a cool firearm! Sure glad you brought it here for us to see!!"]

People "working" with tools also tend to get distracted, tired and over-focused on the task at hand. At these times, safety precautions and common sense subtly disappear.

I felled a large tree in the front yard. A sizable branch ("bough"?) came down and leaned against the house. No way to move this due to its size. So, ad to cut it in place and hope to pull it off in pieces.

I'd been at this for the better part of an hour in our 100F temperatures. Of course, never remembering to drink as much as one *should* in those conditions. And, getting tired and eager to be "done".

At one point, I looked up and saw my left hand above my head steadying the bough while my right hand -- also above my head -- was holding the chainsaw and trying to cut the bough at that point.

- bough is GOING to move when its been weakened by the saw

- bough runs downward to the left (high spot off to right)

- chainsaw is too heavy to be using single-handed

- my left arm, head and neck are likely places for the saw to "wander into" WHEN it decides it doesn't want to stay where I've positioned it.

Turn off saw and go inside. If you let yourself get into a situation that potentially dangerous, you are over-tired and WILL hurt yourself.

Reply to
Don Y

There usually is. But, when folks want to bias opinions, they tend to omit details that make for an argument that needs to be more "considered".

Reply to
Don Y

I may be one of the card carrring stupid people. The brain out runs the the fingers sometimes. Ment to say thawed out. Or maybe started to say unfrozen. Down in the south we may say things slightly different. Like the race car driver Richard Petty said when he had engine trouble, 'my car came uncrunk'.

Probably spelling that wrong. Not sure how it hapened, but my spell checker for this program only checks it in French. Reloaded it a while back and it still only does French with no option to change it to english.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Not exactly, but last summer I was camping and some guy had a whole chicken on his campfire. While the chicken was cooking, he was drinking large amounts of beer and hard liquor. Eventually he staggered over to the fire, grabbed the chicken, placed it on a picnic table, and grabbed a huge knife which was about 20 inches long, with a blade around 2 inches wide. He began to hack at the chicken, when he dropped the knife. It fell point down, and went right thru one of his bare feet.

He screamed and put his foot on the table. Blood was spurting everywhere, and covered the table as well as the chicken. His buddy grabbed a towel and wrapped the foot, but blood kept pouring out. The buddy said he needs to go to the hospital, but the drunk took another swig of liquor and said he refused to go to the hospital. Someone came over and duct taped the foot, but blood still poured out and by this time the whole ground was covered with blood, and the guy fell to the ground.

Fortunately, his wife got there just about that time, and she took one look at his foot, and called 911. He was rushed to the hospital. The doctor said that he cut a major blood vessel and had lost half his blood. Another 10 minutes he would have bled out and died.

Lots of stitches and some surgery, he did survive. The chicken was tossed in the trash, he was taken home and his buddies had to pack up his camping gear. His wife took that knife and said he will never see it again.

Reply to
RealPerson

Per Don Y:

Something over 50 years ago, a guy that lived in our house was from Texas.... and he carried this loaded Colt 1911 with him 24-7.... kept it under his pillow or something at nite.

We asked him "Dallas, how did you get that thing over here ?"..

His reply "Ahhhh...I just tucked into my boot....".

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Should have added: this was in Hawaii....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

another +1

Reply to
philo

What you *can* get away with (now) and what you *could* get away with (then) have changed immensely.

I can recall taking great pains to refer to my "wire wrap GUN" as a "wire wrapping tool" whenever airport security stumbled onto it in my luggage.

Reply to
Don Y

There is more to it, but she still put the coffee between her legs and took the top off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Terrible story about the chicken. They could have washed the chicken and put it back on the fire for a few minutes. Blood is edible.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As far as I am concerned there is no over safety. Usually who think they are smarter often cause an accident.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Our industry uses a pneumatic piston operated venturi to blow material into a mold. It has commonly been referred to as a "fill gun" for decades. After a shipment got held up in customs for a while everyone began calling them "fill injectors" on paperwork.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reminds me, I need to weatherize my trailer before winter. I'll get some tubes of caulk, and a caulking gun^h^h^hdispenser.

And then put the plastic on my windows, using my Arrow staple tacker.

Ah, the life of paranoid weapon phobic weenies.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon